Quick Thermostat Wiring Question

However, I'm not sure why 'everyone' has ignored my comments/suggestions about battery-powered wireless ones - which, as far as I can see, should only need the 2 wires which already exist at the stat location,
I think the point is that the whole reason for the change is that the thermostat is upstairs and the OP finds this less than ideal - correctly.

For this reason he has chosen the correct device but is/was trying to find ways to fit it in place of the present thermostat which is unnecessary.

Sponsored Links
Sorry John, I must have missed that post. Just had a look at it and it doesnt seem to be programmable anyway
Fair enough - and, despite the part of the manual I quoted (which makes it sound ideal, connection-wise), you will see from my exchange with BAS that there is actually uncertainty as to whether it really means what it appears to say. However, that was just the first one I came across, so there may be more (including programmable) ones out there. The wording I quoted also seems to indicate that at least some manufacturers do appear to have given consideration to those who want to upgrade from a 2-wire thermostat (like yours).

Kind Regards, John

Without reading all the details, what is the point of such a device?

All the necessary wiring is easily available.

As I have said before, it is the equivalent of removing the infra-red sensor from your TV and connecting it by a wire to the wall near your couch.

However, I'm not sure why 'everyone' has ignored my comments/suggestions about battery-powered wireless ones - which, as far as I can see, should only need the 2 wires which already exist at the stat location,
I think the point is that the whole reason for the change is that the thermostat is upstairs and the OP finds this less than ideal - correctly. ... For this reason he has chosen the correct device but is/was trying to find ways to fit it in place of the present thermostat which is unnecessary.
Yes, I understand all that - but, as you will have seen, I thought (maybe incorrectly) that there were wireless ones around which would do as the OP wants, but with the 'receiver' (the hard-wired bit), as well as the transmitter, being battery-powered, such that he could simply use it to replace his upstairs 2-wire stat. The bit I keep quoting from one of the manuals seems to imply that it was designed for such a purpose - but the spec seems to contradict that! ... so maybe I dreamed it, and such animals do not actually exist!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Without reading all the details, what is the point of such a device? ... All the necessary wiring is easily available.
As I've said, if a device such as I have been thinking about existed, the "point" would be that it would do precisely what the OP wants/needs, in a manner that should be easily DIY-able. He could then simply replace his existing upstairs stat with a battery-powered wireless receiver which only required the two switch wires already present at that location (no neutral needed), and then have the (again battery powered) sensor/transmitter wherever he wanted in the house. However, as I've said, maybe they don't exist.
As I have said before, it is the equivalent of removing the infra-red sensor from your TV and connecting it by a wire to the wall near your couch.
I don't really understand that analogy. I would have said that what I'm talking about was more like starting with a TV which had no remote facility (all control;s hard-wired on front panel) and replacing its (hard-wired) on/off switch etc. with a wireless (or IR) receiver which could be controlled by a movable (hand-held) remote control.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I understand all that - but, as you will have seen, I thought (maybe incorrectly) that there were wireless ones around which would do as the OP wants, but with the 'receiver' (the hard-wired bit), as well as the transmitter, being battery-powered, such that he could simply use it to replace his upstairs 2-wire stat. The bit I keep quoting from one of the manuals seems to imply that it was designed for such a purpose - but the spec seems to contradict that! ... so maybe I dreamed it, and such animals do not actually exist!
Yes, I understand all that but there is no need for such a device.

It is a silly idea.

The whole reason for wireless systems is to hide the receiver and place the sender wherever you want.
To then devise a work-around so that you can have similar with the receiver (usually) on the living room wall is stupid.

As I've said, if a device such as I have been thinking about existed, the "point" would be that it would do precisely what the OP wants/needs, in a manner that should be easily DIY-able. He could then simply replace his existing upstairs stat with a battery-powered wireless receiver which only required the two switch wires already present at that location (no neutral needed), and then have the (again battery powered) sensor/transmitter wherever he wanted in the house. However, as I've said, maybe they don't exist.
I'm sorry but the normal device fits the OP's needs
He just didn't know how they work.

I don't really understand that analogy. I would have said that what I'm talking about was more like starting with a TV which had no remote facility (all control;s hard-wired on front panel) and replacing its (hard-wired) on/off switch etc. with a wireless (or IR) receiver which could be controlled by a movable (hand-held) remote control.
Alright, A set without remote, buy IR receiver, stick it to wall behind couch, wire to TV.

I'm sorry but the normal device fits the OP's needs ... He just didn't know how they work.
The normal device fits the OP's need IF EITHER he replaces the 2-core cable to the present stat location with a 3-core cable OR he locates the wireless receiver near the CH controls, and knows how to wire it. If what I was talking about existed, he would merely have to replace the existing stat with the new receiver - a five minute job requiring no special knowledge.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I understand all that but there is no need for such a device. It is a silly idea. The whole reason for wireless systems is to hide the receiver and place the sender wherever you want. To then devise a work-around so that you can have similar with the receiver (usually) on the living room wall is stupid.
Maybe I haven't explained clearly enough. I've been talking about 'hiding the receiver' at the upstairs landing location where the current stat is (it could be anywhere, but that's where switching conductors are currently available, hence 'easy' for the OP) and then, as you say, have the transmitter (with sensor) wherever the OP wants.

Kind Regards, John

The normal device fits the OP's need IF EITHER he replaces the 2-core cable to the present stat location with a 3-core cable
Only because the OP's needs are misguided because he didn't know how they work.

OR he locates the wireless receiver near the CH controls, and knows how to wire it.
PRECISELY.

If what I was talking about existed, he would merely have to replace the existing stat with the new receiver - a five minute job requiring no special knowledge.
Why would anyone make such a stupid thing?

...OR he locates the wireless receiver near the CH controls, and knows how to wire it.
PRECISELY.
Yes, we've known that all along, but the OP would probably have diffculties in wiring it, and I thought (maybe incorrectly) that something existed which would make the job much easier for him, as a DIYer.
If what I was talking about existed, he would merely have to replace the existing stat with the new receiver - a five minute job requiring no special knowledge.
Why would anyone make such a stupid thing?
Just maybe because, if it did exist ...
as Mr Danfloss (albeit seemingly not very truthfully in terms of the product being referred to!) said:
"... This makes it an ideal solution for system upgrades when replacing conventional electromechanical two-wire thermostats... "
??

Kind Regards, John

Why else would it be ideal for 'upgrading from a conventional 2-wire thermostat'?
I expect they assume (not at all unreasonably, IMO) that the existing 2-wire, dumb thermostat is in the right place, and that's where you'd want to put the more sophisticated replacement. Which needs to be powered, something that can't be done using the 2 wires from the boiler.

They would not be expecting anybody to put the wireless receiver there - they would (quite reasonably, IMO) expect that to go next to the boiler or at the wiring centre, as it needs a wired connection to the boiler.

Just maybe because, if it did exist ...
as Mr Danfloss (albeit seemingly not very truthfully in terms of the product being referred to!) said:
"... This makes it an ideal solution for system upgrades when replacing conventional electromechanical two-wire thermostats... "
??
Yes, It allows a programmable thermostat to be substituted with only two wires available but the OP's requirement was primarily to have the thermostat downstairs.

Why else would it be ideal for 'upgrading from a conventional 2-wire thermostat'?
I expect they assume (not at all unreasonably, IMO) that the existing 2-wire, dumb thermostat is in the right place, and that's where you'd want to put the more sophisticated replacement. Which needs to be powered, something that can't be done using the 2 wires from the boiler.
I must be having a bad day, because I don't understand the logic of that. Why would they regard it as 'ideal' if, as you say, the 'more sophisticated replacement' that one wanted to install in the same place could not be powered by the 2 available wires at that place? I must be missing something!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, It allows a programmable thermostat to be substituted with only two wires available but the OP's requirement was primarily to have the thermostat downstairs.
If you're talking about the wireless sensor/transmitter, that presumably requires no wires at all (the clue is in the "wireless"!), so I'm not sure why they would comment specifically that it was ideal for upgrading a 2-wire stat. I think I must be getting confused!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back