quotes for changing taps and bath panel

You blew your own thread out of proportion with your stupid comment. I'm not the only one who considers you ill advised.

+1

But, OP, you appear to be very cynical, but seriously weird.
First, you say your plumber is very good. But not good enough, apparently, to be allowed a profit. Secondly, I cant believe a plumber will quote over £ 200 for materials, but not be able to at least show a picture of the goods.Are they cross heads, levers or knobs. Will they in any way complement your other taps, or decor?

Thirdly, you must be an idiot to agree to pay over £200 (plus fitting presumably) for products about which you know nothing (and expect us to somehow know whether they are good value.

Good luck, you may need it. Having siad that, you obviously won't read this ;)

He'll need to ignore it twice!!..... :D :D

Sponsored Links
I think this thread illustrates a common problem in the Plumbing/heating trade, as with many others. The public views these rubbish, cheap & easy to make TV programmes that portray all tradesmen as crooks & con men, that could not be further from the truth!! The vast majority of tradesmen are honest & are only trying to make a living.

Material Mark-up is an essential part of any business, that wouldn't survive without it.

If you watch these rubbish programmes on the telly you quickly come to the conclusion that most members of the public are daft & naive. If it's a dodgy Builder for example; Joe Public is spending a small fortune on an extension for example, they employ the services of the cheapest quote Builder, they don't ask for references, no small works contract & nobody with any knowledge of the Building industry overseeing the project!!! C'mon!!

Yes, it's that Melinda Messenger's fault. I think I should give her a good spanking. :LOL:

I think this thread illustrates a common problem in the Plumbing/heating trade, as with many others. The public views these rubbish, cheap & easy to make TV programmes that portray all tradesmen as crooks & con men, that could not be further from the truth!! The vast majority of tradesmen are honest & are only trying to make a living.

Material Mark-up is an essential part of any business, that wouldn't survive without it.

If you watch these rubbish programmes on the telly you quickly come to the conclusion that most members of the public are daft & naive. If it's a dodgy Builder for example; Joe Public is spending a small fortune on an extension for example, they employ the services of the cheapest quote Builder, they don't ask for references, no small works contract & nobody with any knowledge of the Building industry overseeing the project!!! C'mon!!

Yes, it's that Melinda Messenger's fault. I think I should give her a good spanking. :LOL:

Form an orderly Q!!

Sponsored Links
Wasn't planning on posting here again but thought I will give the haters some satisfaction. Well those who wished my house get flood have got your wish, you could have asked for something else.

Taps been changed and been leaking leaving a saggy kitchen ceiling with a hole. Plumber no where to be found. He was complaining of ill health last time so could be in hospital. I have removed the panel and found the leak under hot water bath tap. I am catching the leak in a small tub stopping the water going down the floor and in to kitchen.

Apparently it leaked when they were installing the tap as well but they said it was fixed.

The leak is from where hot copper pipe goes in to a plastic valve thing before joining copper again.

No answer from plumber who pays the bill for ceiling repair ! !!!

Your insurance company.

They should then pursue the installer and his insurance company. Assuming he has one in which case it will either be written off or take to small claims.

Your insurance company.

They should then pursue the installer and his insurance company. Assuming he has one in which case it will either be written off or take to small claims.
Take it same applies to the cost of getting another plumber to fix the leak.

He is a decent bloke and I got a feeling he is admitted in hospital else he would have returned my calls. I will wait till tomorrow or Monday before getting another plumber in. I have stopped it from getting worse, just means I have to keep emptying the water collector tub every 2 hours or so.

Here is the leak, any suggestions on fixing it will be welcome. Managed to turn hot water to taps off to stop any more leaking.

genuinely sorry to read that you are having problems. surprised that your ceiling is sagging - it takes a lot of water to make that happen, a lot more than a small drip.

that plumbing looks like a dog's breakfast;
how many couplers on that short length of pipe? and a redundant speedfit tee that is the source of the leak.

unless your plumber put that tee in place (which I doubt he did), then I can't see why the leak is down to him and why he should take the blame for it. the tee should be able to withstand being moved and handled. but it hasn't and has started to leak. ergo - faulty fitting. go back to whoever put that tee in place, or you could try and claim against the manufacturer (looks like JG Speedfit to me).

my advice would be to get someone in to chop out that section of pipework and replace with a length of copper. same on the other tap if it also has a plastic tee serving no purpose.

Any idea who installed all that plastic piping?

hope your plumber is okay

Thanks Hootingowl. Well some people got their wish.
It was a steady trickle and continued for almost 2 days.

Plastic tee was installed by same chap. Apparently something leaked while they were working on the day but they thought it was fixed.

He came around today and replaced the whole section with hose and it seems alright now. We are not touching the other plastic tee, just praying that it stays in place.

He will be sorting out ceiling as well in coming weeks.

Methinks he mangled the oring by being too forceful and working at an awkward angle.

Unfortunate. Or careless? Impossible to say from the comfort of my bath. . But at least he is being honourable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back