RAD not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was wondering if everyone can help us with this 2 problem we facing.

We have a combi boiler in our house and recently we had a small leak in the boiler one of the nuts was slightly loose, this problem is now fixed.

However, the pressure was down due to this leak and we had to refill the system. Now the pressure level has reached over the 3 bar and the boiler is making a laud noise.I thought by bleeding the RAD will lower the pressure but all the RAD are full of water i.e No air comes out.

Is there any other way I can lower the pressure?

2nd problem we have is with 2 RAD. Each time we put the system on it only gets warm. Again I tired to bleed the RAD's but no air comes out, just water comes out straight away.

Appreciate if can help us.

Many Thanks,

Miah

Sponsored Links
Turn off your boiler and attach a hose to one of your drain off valves downstairs. Undo valve which will empty your system until your pressure reaches 1 bar on the guage.
With regard to your rad you will need to balance your system by shutting down some rads via the locksheild valve and opening up yours until they all heat up properly.
Do a search on balancing if you run into problems :D

Thanks BAHCO

1 question. Do I close the lockshield valve only on the effected RAD or do I need to do this to all RAD’s and then open it 4 turns?

If you close the rad you will get no heat into your rad :oops:
Balancing rads means you apply resistance to rads (by closing the valve down) so that the hotter ones getting more flow need to be open less.
Obviously the colder ones need to be open more. :D

Sponsored Links
BAHCO said:
Turn off your boiler and attach a hose to one of your drain off valves downstairs. Undo valve which will empty your system until your pressure reaches 1 bar on the guage.
With regard to your rad you will need to balance your system by shutting down some rads via the locksheild valve and opening up yours until they all heat up properly.
Do a search on balancing if you run into problems :D

make sure the fill loop is closed and disconnected :)

Thanks for your help.

I managed to lower the pressure of my boiler last night. However as for the Rad's I turned the TRV around and back this seems to have worked but not completely. The Rads gets very hot for approx 1 hour then it gets warmer and warmer, but rest of the Rad are very hot.

Could this be balancing issue or something else?

Many thanks

Miah

Yes, they need to be balanced as my previous reply.
The ones nearest the boiler need turning nearly closed and the others need to be more open :D

As for the upstairs RAD do I close the nearest hot RAD and do the same?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back