Rads all corroding

G

Goldspoon

All rads looking like this in fairly new property.

P1030557.jpg

Why?

Anything can be done? Replace all rads?[/img]

Sponsored Links
No need to replace the rads. Those top plugs have not been fitted correctly and have leaked slightly causing the corrosion.Turn of rads at both ends and remake those joints correctly using new washers if necessary and rub down and repaint rads.Job done.

Did you check the tightness of those plugs?

The usually have "O" rings which are not necessarily going to be easy to find on their own.

Some merchants have spare rad plugs on sale.

The seating on the rad may also be corroded and pitted and need considerable smoothing with emery cloth.

Tony

They look like aluminium rads :idea: What is that gunk leaking out :?: Maybe the system wasn`t cleaned /flushed/ filled wih correct inhibitor properly when installed - Good ole` New Build again :rolleyes: " All rads .....Fairly new property " I`d get onto the Fairly Useless builder if I had the misfortune to own the house :idea:

Sponsored Links
Exactly my thoughts NigeF.
Tahe a plug out and see what it's made of. I've seen painted brass ones in aluminium radiators, which is asking for electrolytic corrosion. Dunno where you get aluminium ones, though :(

It does look like an ali rad although as they are so expensive it would be unusual as a first fit in a new property.

But the rusty colour would indicate iron is involved.

Tony

Well spotted. Householder said they are aluminium. I suppose then that the plugs are reacting... what to replace with?

Maybe this is happening (if bungs are a metal other than alu).

The aluminium/steel system would form a little battery, and galvanic corrosion would occur...

:eek:

And presumably this reaction would not take place if system properly inhibited? Awaiting call from Fernox to discuss...

I dont think that Fernox would prevent it as it could just as easily form on the outside of the seal from atmospheric moisture.

Although that amount of discolouration implies a significant leaking.

The usual plugs are plated brass but that would not seem to be suitable for ali rads. Does anyone know what plugs are expected to be used?

Dont blame Fernox because inhibitors are never used in new houses.

Tony

Fernox said (they would say wouldn't they some might say...?):

Cheap inhibitors do not cover all metals; their F1 does.

I should use F3 cleaner for a week.
I should drain and refill cold water 3 times.
I should refill using F1.

And of course sand and repair damaged paintwork...

Thought it was your house :oops: . Anyways - I wonder if the "Rust / Corrosion " is actually a deposit of flux ridden un treated water that has done 2 things :idea: 1 acted like paint stripper on the ali. 2 left a rust like residue which has spread around . Not actually rust but that colour . I would see about getting samples analysed by fernox or another :idea: before the offending water is gone from the system .

I would expect any deposit from attacking ali to be whitish.

That rusty colour is typical of iron oxides.

Of course we have not been told what kind of boiler and if ALL the rads are ali or mixed with some steel.

Seeing the colour of the system water would be part of the diagnosis.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back