Raven heat whitestar ls 80 combo - water goes hot and cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above boiler and the water goes hot and cold when it is being run for a bath or kitchen sink. The boiler is under a british gas contract and the engineer came out today and said the heat exchanger is clogged up which is causing the problem. He says the sensor is ok as the central heating works ok. British gas will not change the heat exchanger as they replaced it last year. The central heating was newly installed 3 years ago, so I can't see that there can be that much sludge! Does this sound correct that I will need a new heat exchanger?

Sponsored Links
The boiler wasn't installed 3 years ago as this model is old.
It's unlikely even if you had radiators replaced anything was
done with the house pipework that could have contained a substantial
amount of dirt.
Position of the boiler could make it a collecting point for dirt in the system.
Lack of inhibitor on combi boiler really blocks the heat exchanger quite
quickly.
If you have a slow leak and are having to top the boiler pressure up once a week say then corrosion will be increased.
It will only take half an egg cup of flecks of rust to affect the plate heat exchanger.

Thanks, rads and pipework were put in 3 yes ago but not the boiler. Would a magna clean be recommended?

Thanks, rads and pipework were put in 3 yes ago but not the boiler. Would a magna clean be recommended?

Did you actually see all the floor boards up and all new pipework put in?
More than likely they just changed radiator tails and new rads.

I would go for a spirotrap rather than a magna clean. Made from brass
unlike the cheap and nasty plastic magna clean.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back