Ravenheat No gas, No flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ravenheat RSF 84E which does not light for CH or DHW. Initially, the fan did not even start but this was corrected by changing the honeywell ignition board.
The boiler runs as expected to the point when it sparks but no flame at all.This implied the gas valve. I've had a gas safe person to check it but he was unable to find the fault. He tried a new gas valve and even another control motherboard (second hand) and even changed the honeywell ignition board but no change. Thermistors have been checked. Pilot pipe is clear and pilot nipple is free of debris. It appears the gas valve is not opening but the gas valve is not at fault. Is the control motherboard the problem?
Can someone help please.

Sponsored Links
What voltage do you have between ev1 and com when its sparking ?

I assume the gas safe person would have done this but how do I check this? Is it the two wire connections to the green cylinder (modulator) on the gas valve?

Oh dear!
It seems that your "Gas Safe Registered"???? engineer is what we in the trade call a "Parts Changer" def; one who randomly changes parts untill the fault goes away!.
Unfortunately we cannot give advice on what is clearly a Gas related matter other than to advise you to contact a Boiler Service Engineer who knows how to fault find properly
The manufacturer's may have a register of approved service agents for the boiler in question?? ;)

Sponsored Links
I understand. However, the gas valve is new and still attached. What I'm interested in finding out is if the motherboard is faulty. Not messing with the gas connections as that side of things has been resolved/confirmed by the gas safe person.

thanks
Your thanks rating is now '3' ;)

This fault is an electrical fault not a gas valve problem. This much the gas safe person was able to confirm.
Working on the basis that the voltage at ev1 com is not what it should be, is the motherboard faulty?

I take it you have checked that the overheat thermostat hasnt tripped as this interuppts the supply to the gas valve the reset button is on the lower left hand side of the facia panel

I am sure that his incompetent parts changer would have checked that !

Nor do I see why people pay engineers to change parts which dont cure the fault!

Tony

with you on that one Tony but wouldnt be the first time I have went at the back of one of these chaps and re set the OH stat, beleive it or not once when I worked for a munufacturer I was called to a warranty call and on calling the installer was told not to dare turn up without a pcb as the customer would go mad if I didnt fix and that he had had two engineers check and it definately needed a pcb when I turned up the fly lead for the power had never been wired in to the spur

One that I went to for a maker I really had to start laughing as I could see the flue fault from four metres away.

But that was not the only fault! He had reversed the polarity too.

He had connected the live to the "brown" wire but failed to check that the brown wire was actually the live connector.

The only tester he had was an old neon screwdriver!

He then charged the owner for my £84 fee because "it was the owner's fault" that a connector box further back was wrongly wired!

Tony

Thanks Ianmcd

Yes the reset button has been reset. And no rewiring has taken place.

(The parts changer didn't charge me for his attempt to resolve the problem)

I've changed an APS on two occasions for this boiler and I did pay for the gas valve but I'm completely stumped by this fault. The parts changer was recommended to me. I thought it couldn't do any harm to let him try, who knows he could also have been successful.
The gas valve cost me £50 but he even changed that for another of his own just to be sure the gas valve wasen't the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back