Ravenheat No gas, No flame

its nothing to do with the modureg it doesnt matter what voltage is going there you are completely on the wrong path with that, the modureg only comes in to use once the boiler has lit its like an accelerator on a car for want of a simpler explanation

Not really the whole story.

Nearly all boilers ignite with about 2/3 the total power!

Biasi boilers ignite at 6 mB out of a total of 10.5 mB on their older boilers!

A typical mod coil operates between 6v and 17v. The Biasi thus moduates between 1.5 mB and 10.5 mB with an applied voltage of 6v - 17v.

Tony

Sponsored Links
its nothing to do with the modureg it doesnt matter what voltage is going there you are completely on the wrong path with that, the modureg only comes in to use once the boiler has lit its like an accelerator on a car for want of a simpler explanation

Not really the whole story.

Nearly all boilers ignite with about 2/3 the total power!

Biasi boilers ignite at 6 mB out of a total of 10.5 mB on their older boilers!

A typical mod coil operates between 6v and 17v. The Biasi thus moduates between 1.5 mB and 10.5 mB with an applied voltage of 6v - 17v.

Tony

Go on then Tony enlighten me how does the modureg control the gas going to the electronic pilot ,which is not lighting ??

OP you dont need to concern yourself with anything to do with the modureg on your boiler, this is not what is stopping it from lighting

Sponsored Links
As per another poster you need to know if you have 230V AC between EV1 and Com on the pcb, if you look in the installation and serviving manual for the boiler these are clearly indicated, I suspect you wont have the correct voltage here

The trouble shooting flow chart mentions EV1-COM on the gas valve (pg44) but not on the pcb? Though the manual is suppose to be a guide I think it is unclear on this point.

You wont be able to measure this at the gas valve as its a closed plug you will have to measure it at the PCB not easy to measure there either but it is possible

The closed plug is connected to the honeywell ignition board which has cable connections to the main control motherboard:
What should be the voltage?
If the voltage was incorrect then where would that point you in the direction off?

All this should be pointing you in the direction of a gas registered engineer!

Agile, the problem I have with the statement you have made is that__ a gas engineer does not repair parts. He identifies the problem and then replaces the part with another one. The responses, so far, to my questions appear to rule out all but the most expensive parts of the boiler, i.e the gas valve, ignition pcb and the control motherboard. With the gas valve being new and the ignition pcb replaced for a working one, this problem points to the control motherboard. (I suspect the parts changer may also have had a faulty motherboard). If this can be confirmed then I can most likely get hold of a replacement part cheaper than the gas engineer. One gas engineer I did phone about the problem did not want to make a home visit because he thought the parts changer had carried out the appropriate checks and that if he made a visit he might not be able to resolve the problem. When asked about his call out fee he made clear he would still have wanted his minimum payment even if he couldn't diagnose the problem. (Is that normal?)

Ianmcd
There are 5 connection points at the back of the honeywell ignition board. The middle one being earth. The top two are for the Gas valve Main and the bottom two are for the gas valve pilot both have a voltage at the point of boiler sparking.

They shouldnt both have voltage unless the pilot has been established, the way it works is 240v AC to pilot solonoid once this has operated and pilot established this sends a signal and main solonoid is powered and main burner ignites

ianmcd
I'm using a DT-830B multimeter. Set to 200 ACV.
To carry out this test, I removed the honeywell ignition pcb from the gas valve which gave me access to the enclosed plug at the back of the pcb.
I connected common to the middle pin (earth) and measured against the very top pin. Then again with the very bottom pin. My multimeter showed varying values for both mearurements (the multimeter display would not stay on one value). :confused:
Am I doing this right?

Raven Atmospheric combis light at full gas rate in the HW mode i.e there is no ignition or soft light pressure phase , one of the reasons why the combustion chamber is secured with 13 ( I think ?) screws

soft light does occur when igniting in the heating mode.

Both the measurements are fluctuating. Am I suppose to get a single value or is this dependant upon the APS?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back