Ravenheat No gas, No flame

Having changed the spark electrode, a pilot flame appeared (with the pilot taken out of its housing and only doing a quick test, though I didn't try this with the original spark electrode). But flame was not appearing to be strong enough to ignite main burner(suction from the fan kept putting out the flame). Further cleaning of pilot nipple (though I have to say it already looked clean) finally seem to do the trick.
My conclusion to all this, is that, if the spark electrode does indeed double as a sensor to detect the pilot flame, then changing the spark electrode was the solution as this then opened the main gas valve. However, cleaning the nipple may have further improved the gas flow and strenthened the pilot flame so that the suction from the fan didn't blow it out.
So no major parts needed replacing.

My thanks to all who contributed to this forum.

Sponsored Links
Well its good for you to thank people!

However, none of them should have been helping you do your own boiler repairs which involved opening the combustion chamber!

Although I do appreciate that it may have been annoying that the Parts Changers you chose were unable to identify the fault! Thats why its important to call a competent engneer and not a Parts Changer!

Nor should any engineer make a charge for coming to you if they are unable to identify the fault ubder normal conditions. I certainly would not!

Tony

so after everyone told you not too & you needed a RGI you still went ahead & touched stuff you shouldn't have done because you aren't reg to :rolleyes:

Somebody has already suggested that the "Parts Changer" was always the OP himself!

That now seems even more likely!

Sponsored Links
Let me put everones mind at rest. It cost me £40 to get this done by another gas safe person. I should add, however, that he did initially think the gas valve was at fault but when I told him what I had read on the forums (The pilot light not lighting would not allow the gas valve to open). He started to look elsewhere for the problem. This led him to open the combustion chamber. I told him the previous guy had changed a number of parts but was unsuccessful. They actually know each other :) .
Anyway, as he accessed the combustion chamber I remembered what I had read on the forums and mentioned that the spark electrode may well double as a sensor, implying that maybe the problem was the spark electrode. He happened to have a spare with him and tried it. The rest you know.
I have to say, at one point he was completely convinced the fault lay with the gas valve, and it was only the information I got from these forums that made him investigate further.
I think in this case, a combination of help from the forums, common sense and gas safe person was an ideal combination.

You seem to have a knack of engaging hopeless G-S people!

A good one will be able to diagnose the fault himself and will only charge you for the actual part which you need!

Tony

So after 4 pages it turned out to be a blocked pilot :eek: changing the electrode makes no difference as without the pilot being lite it has nothing to sense, probably moving the pilot housing moved a bit of the crud but as has already been said you shouldent be messing about with your boiler.

So, the two holes in the pilot nipple were simply needing a good clean.
This was checked, held to the light, two holes clearly visable. But looks like a more thorough clean was required.
Looking back over the life of this boiler, I must say, I haven't been too disappointed by this ravenheat boiler. In over 11 years no major part has required replacing. Maybe I just got lucky?

In over 11 years no major part has required replacing. Maybe I just got lucky?

The operative word there being "needed" !

You seem to have replaced:-

APS

APS

Gas Valve.

Main PCB

Ignition PCB

Ignition electrode

I consider the gas valve. main PCB and Ignition PCB to all be major parts!

Ye gods.... why is it always a Raven heap owner?

And where do all these RGI's magically appear from with Raven heap parts happening to be on board?

The conclusion? The boiler needed nothing more than a service.

Hey ho... back to the CC.

Just to clarify, one of the parts changers tried to solve the problem by changing parts but being unsuccessful replaced the original ones. I do however have a spare new gas valve.
So parts replaced over 11 years are APS, APS and Modulator on gas valve.
The spark electrode didn't actually need changing.
I'm no defender of Ravenheat boilers, just stating the facts of my boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back