rca video splitter

H

huddsspread

Hope some one can help me, in my car i have in built ( factory ) dvd and screen. it also has an extra screen in the back, and RCA to plug in a playstaton etc....

Now have fitted a freeview box, which runs on the rca input. But what i want to do is add another screen, but i dont know how to take the video input to it? The extra screen wasn't put in by me, so i dont know how that was added into the loop. I dont really want to cut any cable, but i want to add another screen in the "loop".

The power side is the easy bit!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I don't follow all of this. By "RCA" are you referring to three Phono sockets carrying video and L+R audio?

You have a monitor screen in the front, a monitor screen in the back and you want to add a third - where, and what do you want to view on it?

Sorry yea I mean phono. The screens are in the back and very back,it's a seven seater. The extra screen is for me in the front so I can also plug a reverse camera in. As well as the DVD and free view feed.

So what I need to do is join into the feed from factory tv, to the extra aftermarket tv in the very back.

Sponsored Links
Surely it is against the law (and common sense) to have a video screen in the drivers view.

Several types of RCA/Phono splitters are available from EBay.

However I suspect that being an RCA input means the input is composite video or similar and thus just plumbing two inputs into one screen would need some form of switching.

AFAIK it's illegal for the driver to watch TV/DVD whilst the vehicle is moving (mate of mine had one fitted to his MPV and had to have a cutout wired via the handbrake switch), but I think a live parking camera feed is okay. One of the newer Range Rovers had an option of cameras in the front valance so you could get a closeup view of the peasantry at the moment you ran them over :mrgreen:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
one channel is for the front camera in the bumper i have put in, and the other feed is so i can watch it while im sat in a carpark rather than jumping in the back. Its down by the handbrake anyway....

As for the wiring...

Factory DVD and screen. dvd in the dash ( grand voyager ) screen for middle set of seats. Someone has added another screen for the 3 seats in the very back.

I have an aux input of red white n yellow, so a freeview box can be plugged in, ( which i have ) or you can put a playstation etc.

Now i could split the video signal before the phono/video jacks, before it goes back to the screens, to go to the NEW screen but i would then only recive the signal from the freeview box, SO i want to cut into the VIDEO feed which is going to one of the screens somehow, so i recieve both the dvd and/or freeview at the NEW screen.

I just dont know how to do that, ( if you imagine i was cutting into power, i would split the sheathing back and join the wire to it and tape it up )

SO i want to cut into the VIDEO feed which is going to one of the screens somehow, so i recieve both the dvd and/or freeview at the NEW screen.
You can't easily splice into coaxial signal cable without changing the impedance and (probably) drastically affecting performance.

You might be able to fit an A/B switch, as used with TV aerial connections for switching in/out an old fashioned game.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back