Re-use CH pipe for gas?

" but nevertheless it hasnt been fitted by a gas engineer then you cant use "

I'm sure that GAS ENGINEERS have better things to do than install pipes,

If the pipe in question can be checked along its length for any branches/valves ect, and also may be flushed out (if required) I cant see a problem.

You wouldn't hesitate to use a cold water pipe to carry hot water.

Providing the pipework is chesked whats the problem. :)

thats what i said, but can you GUARANTEE on the retention of your gas registration that all is 100% correct with every fitting and every jointing material used? if yes, go ahead, if not then you cant use it

Sponsored Links
Do not talk nonsense majority of the housing stock in this country is pre corgi and do you think those carcasses where all fitted by qualified guys .EH NO they where done by plumbers and plumbers mates and even labourers ,
But i can see why some of you would struggle to understand the basics of how to check a pipe has been fitted correctly .
As i originally said providing the OBVIOUS had been CHECKED F##K me its not rocket science but perhaps it is to some of you.

KIRK please tell me how you check existing iron/Copper pipe fitted in screed has had proper jointing materials used before you fit anything to it

Clearly you are not gas registered!

Firstly ONLY a registered gas engineer can legally install gas pipes!

Secondly, Kirk Gas,******* has already informed you that as the regulations state that only pipes installed for gas by a registered engineer can be used for carrying gas.

Those who have to do assessments know that you must never argue with an assessor ( except on forums that is ).

Tony

KIRK please tell me how you check existing iron/Copper pipe fitted in screed has had proper jointing materials used before you fit anything to it

if you read my post you will see that i clearly said IF we are connecting to existing gas then we inspect on a best endeavour and depending on result of TT we connect, and job done, however in this case we KNOW it is a water pipe so the chance of it not having correct jointing compound and/or fittings for gas is greatly increased.

As far as a am concerned greatly increases MY liability, add to the fact i dont want to contaminate the gas line i choose not to connect it, what you do is your choice.

I also posted IF it is an existing gas line we need to assume (which is dangerous) that valves etc are correct, and i also said, if the pipe isnt competely accessible and it turns out to have a plastic fitting or a stopcock we are going to look even more of a plum than usual when it causes a major gas leak and we all stand round saying "OMG i would never have connected to a known water pipe,

what a cowboy"

Sponsored Links
As they say those who can do those who cant teach and dont even try to attempt to call me a cowboy.

Please do NOT discuss or disclose other people's private information

Since Kirk Gas reproduced my posting in its entirety including the part which you deleted later and added a smiley, I dont think that he has any problem with what I had said.

What I said was only based on what he freely tells us, not any other source!

I work as a part time assessor so am comfortable to go in and do assessment only and did ccn1 + 5 in a day and a half, but have met many many very good gas engineers who need to go in for 4 days "training" and assessment combined just to refresh them on how to pass exams etc again as most of them haven't done anything like it for 5 years, i always stress i'm not trying to teach them how to be gas engineers but to assist them in getting through the ACS with guidance on reg changes, remembering vent calcs and flueing requirements.

Please do NOT discuss or disclose other people's private information

Since Kirk Gas reproduced my posting in its entirety including the part which you deleted later and added a smiley, I dont think that he has any problem with what I had said.

What I said was only based on what he freely tells us, not any other source!

I work as a part time assessor so am comfortable to go in and do assessment only and did ccn1 + 5 in a day and a half, but have met many many very good gas engineers who need to go in for 4 days "training" and assessment combined just to refresh them on how to pass exams etc again as most of them haven't done anything like it for 5 years, i always stress i'm not trying to teach them how to be gas engineers but to assist them in getting through the ACS with guidance on reg changes, remembering vent calcs and flueing requirements.

i have posted many many times that i am a super duper trainer/assessor so i have no problems at all with any one commenting on it, i do not consider it private, so carry on with the abuse (well some of you anyway, i will get to the rest in good time)

As they say those who can do those who cant teach and dont even try to attempt to call me a cowboy.

i take offence at this comment, first of all you wouldn't be as good as you are if a top tradesman didnt teach you, so draw your neck in a bit, i choose to teach beacuse i am good at it, enjoy it and having started as a plumbing apprentice in 1978 i feel i have done my bit and proved i can walk the walk as well as talk the talk, if you would offer me the common curtesy of ACTUALLY READING MY POST i specifically said "we" rather than you, so as not to upset your obvious fragile ego, none of us (with you being an exception ) know everything and can always learn, and i stick by my post, if you dont then i will sleep well tonight knowing the best gas engineer in Britain doesnt need to hear anything from me, but please keep posting your expert opinion as we will be lost without you (oh would that also make you one of the "all talk, no action brigade, that you are so dirisory about?)

Secondly, Kirk Gas,******* has already informed you that as the regulations state that only pipes installed for gas by a registered engineer can be used for carrying gas.
Well Tony I've been in the Industry for over forty years and have been registered for over twenty :) And your talking **** .

I fully understand the situation regarding new installs, what we are talking about here is utilising existing pipe work, and as already been stated all necassary checks need to be carried out before making a decision. If a28mm pipe was rising from the ground floor up to the loft say 20m and was in good condition with no branchs and test 100% your telling me to rip it out and replace with new (dream on) :LOL:

Those who have to do assessments know that you must never argue with an assessor ( except on forums that is ).

Tony

What a load of *******s as per usual.

32000 + posts of **** or you must get a registered engineer in, or this should be in the CC.

Out of that, probably about 100 helpful posts :rolleyes:

Great post. I'm inclined to agree with Agile to a certain degree. I would not be happy connecting up a gas supply to an existing CH pipe. Firstly unless I could trace the whole route of the pipe and the joints and secondly does it still contain water and contaminates, which would cause problems later. Soundness would not be the problem, but are you sure on the rest! :eek:

Great post. I'm inclined to agree with Agile to a certain degree. I would not be happy connecting up a gas supply to an existing CH pipe. Firstly unless I could trace the whole route of the pipe and the joints and secondly does it still contain water and contaminates, which would cause problems later. Soundness would not be the problem, but are you sure on the rest! :eek:

This is what everyone as said CHECKS would have to be made.

NO one is going to use a water/heating pipe for gas unless it is 100% ok
I could under stand all the above comments if it was plastic :rolleyes:

My emphasise was on the words GAS Engineer as opposed to gas installer/fitter

Kirkgas take offence all you want . And you where aiming the cowboy comment. You have shown many times on here that you do not know certain basics which is strange for someone who is assessing others.
The tradesmen that taught me the job where actually hands on guys who i done the job with not the guys in the classroom who struggled with the basics and as apprentices we sometimes had to tell them how it was done.
I don`t have a fragile ego in anyway slag me or contradict me all you want but make sure your right first but it does pi55 me off how low the standards are in this industry and how people cannot think for themselves.

Your answer to this question was a simple NO YOU CANT which is wrong what i did say yes it is possible but certain obvious things and conditions have to be checked . Which to be honest i can see the likes of yourself would have trouble understanding.

And my expert opinion comes from doing/ and assisting on close on 50,000 jobs in every aspect of the gas industry on every type of gas appliance there has been in domestic situations except gas radios , unlike a lot of you on here who are plumbers who have taken to gas or worse still aerial repairmen.

Fek me you just have to look into the little secret combustion chamber section and the guys who people like yourself pass and say are qualified dont even know the difference between standing and working pressure of gas ,what a let by test involves what a soundness test actually is and drops allowed and under what circumstances they can be left. Which in my eyes is something you learn straight away. Not at an ACS centre or in a private forum

So if i sound condescending at times so what live with it i know my job and am good at it shame its not industry wide.
Far far too many of you go for the money on stuff you have not got a clue about know your limitations and stick to them.
Rant over

Kirkgas take offence all you want . And you where aiming the cowboy comment. You have shown many times on here that you do not know certain basics which is strange for someone who is assessing others.
The tradesmen that taught me the job where actually hands on guys who i done the job with not the guys in the classroom who struggled with the basics and as apprentices we sometimes had to tell them how it was done.
I don`t have a fragile ego in anyway slag me or contradict me all you want but make sure your right first but it does pi55 me off how low the standards are in this industry and how people cannot think for themselves.

Your answer to this question was a simple NO YOU CANT which is wrong what i did say yes it is possible but certain obvious things and conditions have to be checked . Which to be honest i can see the likes of yourself would have trouble understanding.

And my expert opinion comes from doing/ and assisting on close on 50,000 jobs in every aspect of the gas industry on every type of gas appliance there has been in domestic situations except gas radios , unlike a lot of you on here who are plumbers who have taken to gas or worse still aerial repairmen.

Fek me you just have to look into the little secret combustion chamber section and the guys who people like yourself pass and say are qualified dont even know the difference between standing and working pressure of gas ,what a let by test involves what a soundness test actually is and drops allowed and under what circumstances they can be left. Which in my eyes is something you learn straight away. Not at an ACS centre or in a private forum

So if i sound condescending at times so what live with it i know my job and am good at it shame its not industry wide.
Far far too many of you go for the money on stuff you have not got a clue about know your limitations and stick to them.
Rant over

you have said i have made mistakes on here, i dont need to ask you to point them out, i agree, but making an error on a comment on a forum is hardly crime of the century, i dont really have an ego that means i need to check every thing i say, as i know there are guys on here who keep us all right at times and i'm happy with that, i post and read on here to learn, not to be rude, there are VERY few on here or anywhere else who hasnt made a mistake, it doesnt make us incompetant, i also said that certain checks on the job in question MUST be done to confirm it is safe to use, i also said as an experienced tradesman that i would not connect a heating pipe to a gas pipe, i stand by that as it isnt the correct way to do it, i couldnt count how many jobs i have done over the last 32yrs so if you have done 50,000 then i honestly say well done, but do not dare to slag me as a plumber as it is every bit as technical as gas, and if i understand you correctly (keep me right please) you are a time served gas engineer, do you ONLY do gas, or do you do central heating and plumbing at any time, if so then surely you shouldnt be slagging me for adding to my skill set by getting gas qualified on top of my plumbing, and mark my word when i want to have a dig at you i will, it wont be dressed up as "we" the comment "we" was meant as we, as a general statement to anyone who finds themselves in the situation i described, gas and plumbing are technical jobs, but get off your high horse by saying you cant teach the skills to someone else, its not that hard for a reasonably clever person with the right aptitude and attitude to learn, take a chill pill, as discussed many times over, it isnt just the new entrants who have ruined the trade you hold in such high regards, best we agree to disagree on my skills and ability to work/train/assess gas candidates as you dont kow me you have no right to judge me, and please stop the personal attacks

Really simple kirk you started the personall attack by using the word cowboy in regards this topic and as much as you are back tracking it was aimed at me and possibly the others who said it was ok to do UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES.
So dont get all upset when comments come back at you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back