Reduction of national speed limit petition

the national speed limit is the speed limit for the U.k dual carriageways and some of our country lanes! It has f-all to do with danger spots. If there is a problem area then they can reduce the speed limit to 5 mph for all i care along that route! But we are talking the national limit here! Not danger spots.

If there is a danger spot they reduce the speed in that certain road / area which im sure 99% of us agree with. But why should we reduce the speed limit in the WHOLE OF THE U.K!

How many of you get stuck behind a truck trying to over take for 15 minutes on the A42 or simular dual carrageway? Do you not get a little peed off? People take risks and over take in daft circumstances because of this.
How about the goverment ban trucks from using the second lane of dual carriageways? I mean whats the point? They overtake for ages and get there (end of journey of 500miles) 50 meters faster ! Is it just me or are you all daft?

I drive abroad alot and in Germany there are no traffic jams on the motorways, they have motorways with no speed limit but they dont have the things closed twice a day because someone crashed! What they do have tho is a BAN on trucks coming into the second lane between busy hours, and it works!

Sponsored Links
kev & spark - valid points indeed which didn't even cross my mind. So, it would be wise to stick a load of revenue raising cameras on these spots, and when enough money has been raised, make the necessary adjustments and remove the cameras :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bit like the M6 toll road - I wonder if this has paid for itself yet and we can expect a reduction/removal of the toll :rolleyes:

err they do it with tractors on the A1 but i take your point

if it is the national limit its carp

i must have got sidetracked

in the states they have 2 limits one for trucks and one for cars :idea:

the national speed limit is the speed limit for the U.k dual carriageways and some of our country lanes! It has f-all to do with danger spots. If there is a problem area then they can reduce the speed limit to 5 mph for all i care along that route! But we are talking the national limit here! Not danger spots.

Glad you got that off your chest. My apologies - thought the intention wasn't a national reduction, but I stand corrected if it is. In which case, whilst we are getting on our high horses about this, what "hidden" things are the govt sneaking about in the background with. Sounds like a ploy to divide our wrath.

Sponsored Links
yup bad driving
pedestrians trying to take shortcuts ,
wrong camber on the road

i agree with this post. Wrong camber for one, some drivers can see it a mile off, others dont understand what this means and wonder why they end up in field.

Bad driving, trucck drivers and few boy racers pushing there limits. The speed limit will never stop boy racers driving past there limits of control, that s them just being daft and there is only one way thay will learn.
Truck drivers???? why over take when you can only go .5 mph faster??? all you do is cause a jamb that turns into heavy breaking and into a crash?

pedestrians, well in the national speed limit areas there should not be anyone crossing as the limit is designed for dual carriageways and NON built up areas where you should see a car coming from 100's of meters away

kev & spark - valid points indeed which didn't even cross my mind. So, it would be wise to stick a load of revenue raising cameras on these spots, and when enough money has been raised, make the necessary adjustments and remove the cameras :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Maybe because if we use our common sense we won't be doing anywhere near the speed limit, never mind in excess of it the cameras wouldn't make a penny.

rant over now!!sorry! Anyway, like i said before, we are talking dual carrageways here along with a few country lanes.

Im all for 10-20mph zones out side schools an maybe 20 mph zones in towns and buit up areas where cars are parked taken your view from the pavement where some small child maybe waiting to cross.

But a country road with 100's of meters of view and dual carrageways like the A42 which looks like a motorway! Well i think it is daft!

Has anyone drove down the motorway at 50mph in the past few days? I have due to road works and i was almost falling a sleep and then found myself trying to read the small letters at the bottom of peoples number plates. Apart from almost rear ending a few people, falling a sleep and cleaning my wind screen i BELIVE i am more dangerous at these speeds. At least at 60-70 mph im using my mirrors and seeing whats coming up and what i need to change lanes for etc. At 50mph everyone is driving at the same bloody speed!

Think we have a lower speed limit on national speed limit roads, dual carriageways and motorways for cars towing trailers/caravans, buses and lorries. ;)

Think we have a lower speed limit on national speed limit roads, dual carriageways and motorways for cars towing trailers/caravans, buses and lorries. ;)

we do. But this new speed limit will reduce the speed of trucks further and the general car along with it, so when your sat in the slow lane behind a truck, you will be having truck after truck overtake youwhile there trying to get the extra couple of miles before there tako runs out for the night.

Its going to be great! Trucks that can NOW break the speed limit when they decide to over take you on that small thin road in the country! :evil:

IIRC an HGV class 1 is restricted to 40mph on a single carriageway.

if the car limit is reduced to 50mph how do i get overtaken by them? even an HGV class 2 is only allowed 50mph along with non CDV's caravans etc.

i stand corrected. I was beliving they had the same speed limit. Still, if it was a dual carrageway or even single, they will be able to overtake as will have enough speed to do so?

Sponsored Links
Back