Reduction of national speed limit petition

I wouldn't personally be against dropping the speed limit to 60, if they could prove people travelling at a regular speed reduced congestion and fuel consumption. 50 is going too far.

For me the answer is to physically limit every new or nearly new car to 70.
This probably could already be done with modern engine management systems.
I often see Royal Mail car-van vehicles saying they are limited to 70.

It would be a negligible cost for new cars.

Sponsored Links
I'm against limiting vehicles, there's two arguments that leap to mind:

1) it would reduce the safety of overtake manoeuvres
2) lorries are all limited to 56mph but end up overtaking due to the amount of error in the limiter.

As the main danger of driving is drivers and cars, rather than speed, I think they should just ban drivers and cars. :rolleyes:

For years we have been told that the best speed for fuel economy is 56mph. :confused:

Now some tw*t with nothing better to do comes up with "drop certain areas to 50mph." :evil:

As for,
control
control
control

Its not control its bl00dy dictatorship by pathetic and corrupt politicians runing our nanny state.

2) lorries are all limited to 56mph but end up overtaking due to the amount of error in the limiter.

who told you that porky pie.
there isn't no error in a limiter same as theres no error in a tacho.
the only error is the people that set them. many firms will set theirs to 50mph ie argos
then you get the irish won't set theirs at all. who we won't mention.

Sponsored Links
then you get the irish won't set theirs at all

Oh yes they do.

Their limiters are reset for unlimited speed. :LOL: :LOL:

The LGV grand prix is held on Anglesey 4 times a day. (to and from Holyhead port)

The east europeans LGV's are not far behind in the speed table

Vans which are not based upon a car design ie Astra Van etc are also restricted to 50mph on a single carriageway,60 on a dual carriageway but can still do 70 on a motorway. Lot of our drivers at work learned this the hard way.

Vans which are not based upon a car design ie Astra Van etc are also restricted to 50mph on a single carriageway,60 on a dual carriageway but can still do 70 on a motorway. Lot of our drivers at work learned this the hard way.

er yes, but surely an astra van is a CDV?

did you actually read that or just jump in? the astra van is a example of a car based design...as opposed to something like a transit connect which is not

did you actually read that or just jump in? the astra van is a example of a car based design...as opposed to something like a transit connect which is not

er yes my mistake. i missed the "not" in that sentence. :oops:

You may not like paedophiles but at least they drive slowly past schools

Sponsored Links
Back