Reduction of national speed limit petition

From what I can gather the limit will be lowered generally but if a Council can prove a road is safe they can raise the limit. At the moment it's the other way round.

Sponsored Links
From what I can gather the limit will be lowered generally but if a Council can prove a road is safe they can raise the limit. At the moment it's the other way round.

That's what I gather too, but it's still only a proposal.

Personally I think it should and will be reconsidered. The existing mechanisms for limit reductions on problem roads could simply be made easier. It's a pity the author of the petition didn't apply a little more intellect...

we the undersigned oppose this, since it will make no difference to road deaths and the cut in carbon emissions is so insignificantly small it's laughable.
:oops:

IIRC an HGV class 1 is restricted to 40mph on a single carriageway.
if the car limit is reduced to 50mph how do i get overtaken by them? even an HGV class 2 is only allowed 50mph along with non CDV's caravans etc.

don't matter what hgv it is its limited to 40 on a single carriageway.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone drove down the motorway at 50mph in the past few days?

Yes, one time a few days ago the traffic cleared enough that I was able to get up to 50mph for a good mile or so. :eek:

You mentioned that you drive at 60-70mph checking your mirrors etc. So the problem isn't you then, is it Matty. It's the pillocks who drive without checking their mirrors, and the person coming up behind them at 90mph without considering if the slower car will pull out to overtake the tractor in front.

Or people who head up sliproads *expecting* there will be a gap when they reach the carriageway.

The easiest and cheapest way to mitigate bad and inattentive drivers is, unfortunately, to slow them down. Lower maximum speeds mean smaller differential speeds which means more time to react which means Mr Mobile Phone user doesn't end up parking his car in the Armco. Driving in busy towns and cities you see shunts and broken glass in the road, but it's relatively uncommon to see an ambulance and firecrew turn up to remove people from a mangled car in a town centre.

Not unheard of, but uncommon. I've only seen it twice, once when someone razzed it into a bus-shelter at 60mph in a 30mph zone, again when another car straightlined a roundabout at 40mph right into the side of a van.

They're spoiling it for the rest of us!

Didn't they knock the limit down to 50mph the last time petrol was looking a bit shakey? :confused:

Some of the country lanes round here need the speed limit reduced. Milk tanker drivers, who know the roads well, hardly brake for some of the bends and almost always take up two thirds of the road.

Between the A303 and Taunton there is a back road, that runs along the Blackdown Hills, and is a rat run for commuters into Taunton. You take your life into your hands between 7.30 - 9am each morning. 60mph on this is ridiculous.

I, for one, am in favour of lowering the limits on roads such as these.

no need to lower the speed limit for cars..
they ought to restrict lorries to the inside lane only and forbid overtaking..

the number of times I've been stuck behind some twit in the middle lane going a half mile an hour faster that his comrade in the "slow" lane, up a hill, is rediculous...
take the foot off the accellerator and sit behind him.. it takes them 4 miles to overtake...

didn't you know it's law to have an up to date copy in the glovebox?

supposed to buy a new one every time they print a revised edition..
:rolleyes:

didn't you know it's law to have an up to date copy in the glovebox?

supposed to buy a new one every time they print a revised edition..
:rolleyes:

i used the same one to do all my tests.

1224.gif

you just brought that ?

No, the wife is taking driving lessons at 60 years old and I dug it out because one or two on here did not appear to be sure of the speed limits.
dave

ps, I didn't until she started asking me questions about it. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back