References

• Thread starter cantaloup63
  • Start date
C

cantaloup63

We are in the process of evicting one of our tenants (long story, but the arrival of her new baby at the end of last year meant that allowing her to remain would be in breach of the number of tenants permissible in our HMO licence). The courts are upholding our claim as we have been entirely reasonable and done everything by the book and she has now gone over the deadline date for moving and we are about to take the next step of involving the bailiffs to have her removed, at which point she will become officially homeless and the council will finally leap into action and find accommodation.

She wants me to email her a written reference which she intends to take around letting agencies to demonstrate what a model tenant she has always been (apart from a few anomalies which she presumably doesn't wish me to mention). I have advised her via a third party that:

(a) There is no way that I will provide anything in writing while legal proceedings are still taking place.

(b) I will only give references to interested parties who request it, and not her.

Does this sound about right, or am I acting in error?

Sponsored Links
It sounds Dickensian to me. Kicking a young mother and child onto the street. Shame on you. :confused:

i agree.... moronic, manic, alcohol driven landlord persecutes young maiden, heavy with child... evil master should feel wrath of the lord !!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It sounds Dickensian to me. Kicking a young mother and child onto the street. Shame on you. :confused:
It's not up to us - the council determined the number of people who can stay in that flat. She got pregnant last year from a bloke she shipped over from Poland to live with her without our permission, who has subsequently been given an injunction by the courts through his abusive behaviour towards her (nothing to to with us). The baby was premature (in fact we suspect an attempted deliberate miscarriage by her through the use of some "give up smoking" drugs which stipulated that under no circumstances should they be taken if pregnant), and the baby was kept in hospital for a couple of months during which time she clarified with us the terms of occupancy of the HMO.

She renewed the tenancy agreement knowing full well that she was in breach of it, and then got her social worker to phone us and advise us that the baby was in existence (we had no idea that it was up to that moment). We had no option but to give her a section 21 notice of non-renewal of contract which meant that she had over 4 months to find somewhere else to live for her and her two other children from two different fathers.

All in all, the council has been unwilling to house her, and she has made scant effort to find suitable accommodation. The council have advised her to sit tight and stretch it out until the bailiffs are called in, at which time they will be able to enact statutory provisions.

You may wish to know that she is herself a Polish immigrant who has never done a legitimate day's work in the UK nor paid taxes. I mention this since I know how much it warms the cockles of some of our poster's hearts.

sounds like you're in the fortunate positions of owning property, and therefore peoples' lives...

Shame on you !!! as much as i don't like immigration, i live in a democratic country where the rest of you voted for it.... so therefore you need to treat them right !!!

And surely her human rights take precedent (since you lot voted in the human rights legislation - i've abstained at every election, so bear no responsibility !!)

Fookoff.......wasnthat scouce?

Anyway If you own property and wish to do what you want with it............

No you cannot, your tied to laws............EVEN WHEN THE TENNANT RESUSES TO PAY RENT!

How fair is that?

#Now put more arguments across the point !!!!

EDIT ;

You make the spelling corrections yourself................give skull chucker a reak :p

And surely her human rights take precedent (since you lot voted in the human rights legislation - i've abstained at every election, so bear no responsibility !!)
Her human rights aren't being removed - the council has a legal duty to house her once she is declared homeless, which she cannot do herself but has to wait until the bailiffs force the court's decision to evict her. Bear in mind that it is the council who have determined the conditions of the HMO which we, as landlords, have no choice but to adhere to if we are not to be fined heavily and quite possible have the property removed from us (which the council would then manage). We are powerless in this decision.

Does this sound about right, or am I acting in error?

What is the point of that lengthy post?

If you don't want to give a reference then don't. You're not obliged to
The point of the lengthy post was to provide context and a possible general discussion in the, er, General Discussion section of the boards ;)

What I want to be certain of is that if she claims that I am refusing to provide her with a reference, could she use this to her legal advantage? They're funny devils, these legal beavers?

you're intellectually lacking if you think abstention = no rights !!! :rolleyes:

it's a shame you mods get away abusing your powers ! ffs !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back