References

• Thread starter cantaloup63
  • Start date
Why not just write a reference? If you are prepared to write one for (several) potential landlords, you may as wel write ONE, give it to her, and get on with your life.

It would have been a lot easier than writing all these posts!

Or am I missing the point?

Sponsored Links
The point is, I imagine, when you're a landlord you think why the feck should another landlord get lumbered with this idiot. Bit like writing a good work reference for someone who you know is crap yet you just want to get rid. Galling!

Why not just write a reference? If you are prepared to write one for (several) potential landlords, you may as well write ONE, give it to her, and get on with your life.

Exactly, or if you don't want to give one just say 'you have broken the terms of your tenancy agreement therefore I can't give a reference' job done :rolleyes:

I rather suspect it's a case of getting her out, so that you can make more money from the next tenants, if this is the case shame on you, particularly at this time of the year, playing with peoples lives is something you are not entitled to do.
My daughter and son inlaw have just been evicted from a house they were renting, because the owner defaulted on his mortgage, not pleasant.

Wotan
This has absolutely nothing to do with making more money. We really do not have any choice in the matter - the terms of the HMO dictate that she may have only her and one other in the groundfloor flat. The arrival of the a new baby is in contravention of the licence. We'd happily let her stay since she is paying the going rate and has regular income. It's not a pleasant situation that we're all in, and we have given her every opportunity and as long as possible to find new lodgings elsewhere (her contract ran out in July, and we have been moving things slowly to maximise further opportunities).

As for others who have posted - thanks for your advice one way or the other. We are trying to help her, but not at the potential expense of landing ourselves in anything untoward legally.

Yes it has taken me less time to draft out a reference than posting on here, but this is a general discussion section of the forum, and at the time of posting it originally there wasn't really much else being chatted about :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Why not just write a reference? If you are prepared to write one for (several) potential landlords, you may as well write ONE, give it to her, and get on with your life.

Exactly, or if you don't want to give one just say 'you have broken the terms of your tenancy agreement therefore I can't give a reference' job done :rolleyes:
With respect susie, you don't seem to have picked up the nature of my enquiry :rolleyes:

Problem is,,, you can't give a negative reference. All you can possibly do is give a reference stating that. "She met the terms of her tenancy and there will be tears in my eyes when she leaves."

fair enough. Doesn't matter that they are tears of joy,,, does it????? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Problem is,,, you can't give a negative reference. All you can possibly do is give a reference stating that. "She met the terms of her tenancy and there will be tears in my eyes when she leaves."

fair enough. Doesn't matter that they are tears of joy,,, does it????? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
With respect, Canty has stated above that she hasn't met her terms of tenancy. Why should his company give her a reference? If she has broken her T & C's of tenancy, then the appropriate action should be taken against her.

grapes-print.jpg

With respect, Canty has stated above that she hasn't met her terms of tenancy. Why should his company give her a reference? If she has broken her T & C's of tenancy, then the appropriate action should be taken against her.

Obviously Canty has got to be careful with his wording of the reference,,, but should he give her a very bad reference, he could be taken to court for infringing her Yooman Rights.
You think any court in the country/EU would bother that the reference was truthful????

Regardless of freddy's curious need to share pictures of his medical complaint with us, the reference I have written is factual and can be evidenced. Thus I have referred to occasional late payments which have subsequently been settled (I can prove this via her paying-in book and my bank statements); and that other than police involvement in the removal of one of her partners during the middle of the night (the police and the subsequent court case imposing the injunction on him has evidence), her tenancy has not caused disturbance to other residents. ;)

I'm not going to lie for her, and I'm not going to spin a yarn of unsubstantiated hearsay :)

Obviously Canty has got to be careful with his wording of the reference,,, but should he give her a very bad reference, he could be taken to court for infringing her Yooman Rights.
You think any court in the country/EU would bother that the reference was truthful????
You cannot, if I remember, give a bad reference. Also, if my poor old brain remembers, if that situation occurs and she wanted a reference, Canty could just send a reference stating 'she was a tenant between such and such dates' :?:

You cannot be sued for giving a truthful reference. Only when you lie or say things about the referee you cannot prove can you get in to trouble but you have to be able to prove it should it come back to haunt you. So if you said they had an attitude problem that may be difficult to prove however say they missed a payment in August or whenever and that may be easy to prove.

In anycase the chances are the tenant shall be approaching agents who will not accept a letter as a reference anyway. Agents will send out a form to the tenants previous landlord asking a few pertinent questions like, are they up to date with their rent, what is their rent pcm, has the person ever been late with a payment, were there any complaints from other tenants, did they cause any major maintenance issues, would you rent to this tenant again etc etc

I assume a section 21 has been served and been ignored?
She has no rights now and bailiffs should re-attend.
Locks changed and utilities removed untill all her belongings are either removed by her or disposed of.
It is your property and if all proceedures have been followed the onus is on her and the local authourity, which it seems she is after anyway, Although a ticket back to europe would be the most sane solution.

How are you going to recover costs? Is the deposit enough for this or does she expect that back too?

In anycase the chances are the tenant shall be approaching agents who will not accept a letter as a reference anyway. Agents will send out a form to the tenants previous landlord asking a few pertinent questions like, are they up to date with their rent, what is their rent pcm, has the person ever been late with a payment, were there any complaints from other tenants, did they cause any major maintenance issues, would you rent to this tenant again etc etc
That is what we have told her will be the case, but she has got her "outreach" case worker :rolleyes: to contact us and ask for a generic one. We will comply with this request and send a copy of the reference to this person rather than directly to the tenant.

Sponsored Links
Back