Refilling Glowworm 24CI Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a degree in engineering but can't for the life of me work out what's going wrong with my Glowworm 24CI Boiler.

It's got a low pressure light, 0.6Bar and has consequently switched off. I have read similar forum responses and downloaded the user manual http://www.glow-wormorders.co.uk/manuals/pdf/24ci-18si.pdf if anyone else needs it.

They all point to turning a blue knob at the base of the boiler and watching the pressure rise. I turn mine and.... water pours from the bottom of the boiler, from a copper pipe with a threaded end on it. Am I right in thinking I am missing the refilling loop? And if that's the case- is it possible to buy this piece (what should I be paying?) as a spare and fit it oneself. I'm about a 6/10 on the DIY-o-meter.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved, as I am about to loose big man points from my other half for soaking her ironing which was being stored under the boiler!

Cheers,

James.

Sponsored Links
You need to identify exactly what is leaking!

It might be the zero pressure valve which does dribble a bit while filling or it may be the PRV with a little red tag on the manual open lever.

This manufacturer has an 0906 premium rate telephone number for user advice !!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY ???

They make bad boilers and fleece those who have problems and need advice.

Tony

Thanks Tony!

Thanks for such a fast response! Let battle commence... I am now going torch in hand to find the leaking pipe! Back ASAP!

James.

Thanks for the tip about dribbling valves - not something I would have ever thought of Tony.

Bowl and umbrella in hand (and torch in teeth!) I went for it and after an initial spurt I guess the pressure was great enough to trip the valve and it's now at 0.8Bar. And to top it all I have huge admiration from the other half!

I am almost out of the dog house for sawing through the Kitchen table whilst using it as a workbench!

Tony, massively grateful, should you ever end up in Norfolk please let me know and I'll buy you a drink.

Thanks again,

James.

Sponsored Links
toosmooth said:
I have a degree in engineering but can't for the life of me work out what's going wrong with my Glowworm 24CI Boiler

i play the guitar a bit but can't for the life of me work out why i've not been asked to join U2,, perhaps its because im not good enough :rolleyes:

the (non) self sealing valve is cr*p on these crates and constantly leak during filling just put a towel on the floor, roll up your sleeves and get wet! take pressure up to 1.5 bar cold or 2 bar if heating is hot.

They should have a tundish plumbed in under the RPZ valve. But if Glowworm put that in the manual they'd get inundated from disgruntled installers :LOL:

They should have followed Vaillants route and stuck up two fingers to the water regs and not bothered with the valve. :)

It appears many people are unhappy with these.....for mine own sake I repeat a tale of wo and sorrow.......

1) Purchased boiler and installed. Seemed good to start with......

2) Have spent past 4 years repairing the bugger with god knows how many refill cock taps, filters and rpv's. The guys that supply me the parts even know me by voice on the phone when I call!

The problem is not with the main "guts" inside - it's the peripheral valves which they obviously have not spent enough time developing. They are in my opinion unreliable and to be honest a bloody nuisance when they fail.

Just my quids worth.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back