regulations.

kevnurse said:
Information doesn't always come free. If you want to work in your house (and your mates) legally and sensibly you have to invest both your time and your money getting the info. A few quid on a good reference book is money well spent.

I have to say I agree. I have the Onsite Guide, the Electrician's Guide and Guidance Note 3, and I find them all very valuable. I'm considering getting the full regs too.

Sponsored Links
Welstead said:
The building regulations are driving me mad. I’m now not sure which side of the bed I should get into, or if I should earth the bed,So that me and the wife don’t get a static shock and die!

(sigh... :rolleyes: )

Here we go again...

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Sponsored Links
Part P is only the electrical safety part. You'll also have to pay attention to, at least, Building Regs approved documents A, B, C, E, F, L1 (they keep changing that one) and M.

Of course, you could bypass all that effort and get someone in who already knows this stuff.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/ is good place to look. I'm in there, lots of others too!!

TTC

Yes, but then I wouldn't know it. Knowledge is the key - I soak it up like a sponge.

Reading all those AD's, is not a problem - I'll enjoy it, and retain a large proportion of it.

The simple answer is that anybody who is considering doing electrical work in their home should have a good understanding of what they are going to do.

If you don't, then you should consider reading the following as an absolute minimum:

Latest On-Site Guide.

Latest copy of BS7671.

Guide to the Building Regs.

Download and read the Part P Document.

You really ought to be able to understand the need for inspection & testing, and the theory behind the tests. I understand that for DIY'ers to get hold of 16th Ed. test equipment is not easy. Wonder if hire shops do them?

securespark said:
I understand that for DIY'ers to get hold of 16th Ed. test equipment is not easy. Wonder if hire shops do them?

Plenty on e-bay. I have a 9mth old Metrel with current cal.cert. And I'll get it recalibrated when the time comes.

Agree with all you say and that's what I plan to do. Testing etc is not a problem for me, I understand the theory behind the testing and can derive and explain all the formulae, calculations etc. from first principles, analyse all the circuits in detail etc. as and when necessary.

Even if I do bring someone in for some jobs, I still want to have a thorough understanding of what he is doing and why.

And who knows, when I retire (early) from my current job in a few years time I might well do the qualifications and go pro.

buy the book or the on-site guide.

Electrics isnt like brain surgey no.......but it is a science!

Welstead said:
I have done a 10 evening corse at collage rewiring a house but would like to know the regulations

You mean they didn't teach you what regulations you have to work to?

You really think you are cometent to rewire a house after ten evening classes? I recon 3 hours per night x 10 nights = 30 hours = 4 days on site. I had been working on site four days a week, and one day a week at college for 3½ YEARS before I was competent to properly and safely rewire a house.

We did some of regulations on the 10 evening rewiring course, those needed for what we were doing. But things have changed in two years. We were told that those on the three year courses were not interested in what they were learning and didn’t have much of a clue, even after two years in collage and on site. They would spend most of the time in class playing games on the mobile. They said they were just a waste of time. We were told that because we are older and really wanted to learn, that we know more in just 10 weeks than those school levers that have done two years or more. I can believe that!

Welstead said:
We did some of regulations on the 10 evening rewiring course, those needed for what we were doing. But things have changed in two years.

You need to understand ALL of the relevant wiring and building and safety regulations, none of which have actually changed in any meaningful way in the last two years.

Dingbat Thanks!

But I am getting just about fed up with all the regulations, on just about anything and everything today. Information over load!
Any body would think that we have a bottomless pit of money and time to get all those jobs done a home!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back