Removing gas fire?

My understanding of the regulations is that any pipe which has previously been used for gas still needs to be capped off at each end!

However, I could tend to agree that with no gas meter and the supply capped off then anyone could remove the pipe!

Sponsored Links
OP, I know you have probably tried to argue this with your mum already, but - getting a gas meter reinstalled is far from cheap. Can't you convince her to simply have the fire removed and if necessary, associated piping?

Then leave the gas meter in place, but capped off.

I dont think there is a charge for having a new meter, especially if you went to a new supplier. Leaving the meter unused woul incur standing charges.

I believe

Sponsored Links
as FiremanT said, if we'd left the meter in then we'd still incur a standing charge - paying for nothing effectively!

meter has now gone, engineer just said to go ahead and remove the "appliance" as and when.

so I'll be capping both ends of the pipe, for possible future re-instating.

Thanks for all your replies.

I dont think there is a charge for having a new meter, especially if you went to a new supplier. Leaving the meter unused woul incur standing charges.

I believe

My understanding based on my own experiences is that if the supply has been disconnected then you have to first go to the last supplier when you want it reinstated.

After a year of the meter being out then the service is then tagged for being cut off in the street

After a year of the meter being out then the service is then tagged for being cut off in the street
Can't imagine a team turning up to dig a hole to cap a supply which is already capped above ground.

Doesnt really matter what you think because your wrong.

.From the gas safety regs 1998
where the meter has not been re-installed or replaced by another meter before the expiry of the period of 12 months beginning with the date of removal of the meter and there is no such service valve as is mentioned in sub-paragraph (a)(i) above, ensure that the service pipe or service pipework for those premises is disconnected as near as is reasonably practicable to the main or storage vessel and that any part of the pipe or pipework which is not removed is sealed at both ends with the appropriate fitting..

It seems to be used as a trick to get people to pay the standing charge!

I am doing it myself!

Its not a trick its got nothing to do with who supplies or sells the gas its a safety issue laid down by the hse which although has been quite lax in the past they ESP`s are now having to show that they have visited premises to check the supplies
customer is then given a 3 month period when they can decide to get a meter refitted or its then dug and cut or wound down on house entry tees

Gas112, would that then mean that a replacement meter would become an expensive proposition, as I suggested earlier, or would a new supplier be happy to reinstate the removed pipe and meter for little, if any, charge.

Not trying to catch FiremanT out, just curious.

Nope if service has been cut in street it could be upto 700 quid to be re ran to property even for a short distance .
If it was turned off at a house entry tee this would not usually incur a charge

Gas112, would that then mean that a replacement meter would become an expensive proposition, as I suggested earlier, or would a new supplier be happy to reinstate the removed pipe and meter for little, if any, charge.

Not trying to catch FiremanT out, just curious.

112 is quite right, and I did know about that, but had completely forgotten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back