Repairing a cracked doorframe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At some point the bedroom door had come away from the bottm hinge and been left hanging from the top. This cracked the frame. The previous owner didn't repair this so we are going to have to.

My thinking is to cut/chisel away the cracked section of frame and then cut a new piece of wood to fasten in as a replacement. Is this the right way to go about it. The total crack is about 12" long.

Its maybe not clear on the pictures but there is a thick piece of wood forming the main frme then a thin facing glued to the top which is the painted bit.

If so, what sort of wood is the best to get to use as a replacement?

Once this is done, I can move onto fixing some beading to mask where they've made the wall thcker with plasterboarding![/img]

Sponsored Links
I was going to say, wedge open the crack, put glue in it, clamp it tight.

But the old "frame" (door lining) is heavily painted, looks very old and in poor conditiopn.

A complete new door lining is surprisingly cheap, and it my be less effort to fit and paint a new one than to try to patch up the old.

Agree new lining, you can replace with one the correct size to hide plasterboard, will look far better.

Sponsored Links
its the best way> the time it will take you to chop out and splice new piece you could buy a new lining and fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back