Replacing a small flat roof with a pitch

I have never said it did not require Building Control, Approval, merely that the OP is extremity unlikely to face any kind of legal threat if he fails to get Approval.

Sponsored Links
Would a 4x2 beam be sufficient for the front of the porch going across from the gallows?
No.

You mentioned in another post that the distance between supports is 2.5m.
4"x 2" doesn't come close.

You will need something like a 7"x 3" purlin, prolly 4"x 2" rafters and joists and the same for the pole plate.

Have you mentioned anywhere yet at to how far out this roof will project and what tiles you intend using?

I build these roofs often and they are easy to cock-up. They can either complement a house or devalue it, depending on design.

If it is just to cover what is already there and two large format concrete tiles is the way you are going to roof it then 3"x2" will do for the rafters, I have one of these jobs booked in but I am going to be doing a semi with both people agreeing to get the work done at the same time, the ones I am doing have a steel pole near the doors rather than gallow brackets so it makes things easier in terms of support. If you are going to diy it yourself then its probably best to engineer it to be safe. good luck

Noseall and catlad - Many thanks for your comments - certainly gives me something to think about - the largest gap is 2500mm so may need to look at a bigger beam.

Just out of interest, what sort of price would I be looking at for a job like this?

Sponsored Links

Eat you heart out Tony....! Only took me four minutes. You boys earn some daft cash! Lol. :p

P.S. NOT TO SCALE. BUILDER TO CHECK ALL DIMENSIONS ON SITE....blah, blah, blah.

See you all when I get back from my holibobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back