replacing interior walls and ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any idea of the difficulty factor on replacing walls and ceilings? I've got plasterboard walls, which are looking a bit shabby. Would it be easier to skim or have them skimmed?

Same scenario with the ceiling and it is artex which I don't particularly like.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have any idea of the difficulty factor on replacing walls and ceilings? I've got plasterboard walls, which are looking a bit shabby. Would it be easier to skim or have them skimmed?
Talking Walls. Depends how shabby, shabby is.

If you have holes that go through the boards, then it would be easier to rip the offending plaster board off, fit new board and finish as you see fit.
If, on the other hand, you are just talking surface nicks etc.., Just a skim will do the job. Clean the walls and bosh on some PVA bonding first.

Just how "easy" this is, depends on how well you pick up plastering. Some pick it up well, others, not so well. Search the forum for posts containing "Plastering AND Walls" for tips.

Same scenario with the ceiling and it is artex which I don't particularly like
I prefer to remove artex if possible. Steam generator + scraper usually does the job. If, upon removing the artex, you find that there is lining paper beneath, remove that too. If you're lucky, you may be able to get back to a decent finish. (keep dropping pigs out of windows, one of them has got to fly, hasn't it?)

Plastering ceilings is quite a bit trickier than walls. If you don't feel confident, don't do it. A decent spread may charge more to repair a botched up job, than to skim a half decent surface.

Cheers, I'll have a go at the walls, I reckon I could get away with skimming. I'll have a go, see what becomes. Don't know about the ceiling though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back