Replacing pipe clips without moving pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to put in acoustic insulation underneath a series of pipes on a wall and replace the existing white plastic pipe clips with acoustic rubberized pipe clips.
What's the best way to do this ?
Is it to cut out the pipe clips using a dremel ?
Then with the wall behind free put in the acoustic wall insulation.
And then reinstall rubberized pipe clips by cutting a hole in the wall insulation wherever a clip is needed, to mount the foot of the new pipe clip to be on the wall.
Is there a better way ???

Sponsored Links
rideforever, good evening.

Sorry but I am confused.
What thickness is the acoustic insulation?
Will the Pipework touch the Acoustic Insulation, or? are the pipes themselves thermally Insulated?

What type of new acoustic insulated pipe clips ate you going to use?, the ones I have seen tend to have a central fixing to the wall, with the acoustic material in contact with the pipework?

Ken

All good questions, and this is what I am investigating.
The wall insulation is a flexible acoustic mat either 25mm or 50mm thick.
There is about 1cm behind the pipes, less here, more there.
Some pipes are thermally insulated.
First problem is removing old clips ... dremel ? Hacksaw ?.
Second problem is new clips. How about something like this with a pair of wall screws ... with some rubber inserted :confused:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Br...chool-Board-15-22-28-35-42-54mm-/172730689792

Replacement clips :
http://www.grote.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/83-8108.jpg

Clip removal tool :
Flush cutting hacksaw
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/i7YAAOSwKfVXKegy/$_58.JPG

Attachments

• cupboard 1.jpg
    cupboard 1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The neighbours pump goes 24hrs a day and transfers a lot of noise through the wall.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/central-heating-pump-acoustic-insulation.484668/#ixzz4lwqJhviV

So this is a continuation of your original post with a new more detailed photo :?:
If the pump is moved upwards just enough to get insulated clips fitted above and below the pump so the pump is firmly clamped to the party wall also rubber insulators (car exhaust rubber insulators or similar) behind the clips also help.

It may be an idea to get a heating operative in as to much tugging on them pipes could result in a premature leak also it could be an easy job to stop continuous pump operation.

The old clips can be removed by unhinging the cover,prise the pipe away from the clip and extract clip with pump pliers with a robust pulling/twisting/bending action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
You are going to have to chop the pipe work out and refit it with clips. The brass clips you linked to are pants. Use munsen rings or rubber lined equivalents.

No number of separate threads are going to nett you a short cut.

rideforever, good evening again.

The preceding two posts confused me a bit [not unusual]

Having had a look at the Plethora of Piping in your Cupboard, trying to insulate that wall acoustically will be difficult to say the least? not to mention the electrics fixed to the party wall??

Have you considered sound insulating, not the Party wall, but the inner surfaces, including the door, of the Cupboard?

Or, Radical consideration ask your neighbour to isolate his pump from the wall??

As above, Posts any disturbance to the pipework could have, shall we call it unwanted results?

Just a thought?

rideforever, good evening again.
Hello.
If the pipe clips can be readily removed and replaced I believe it will be quite easy.
For insiance starting from the bottom left:
Remove 4 clips.
Slide in the acoustic membrane (flexible high density rubber either 5mm or 2.5 mmm thick) ... spray adhesive, job done.
Now replace the cilps by cutting a small square hole in the acoustic membrane and putting the pipe clips back.
As for the electric wires, they can be covered with the membrane, but that panel not stuck down ... just taped to the adjacent panels for easy removal.
Would get a plumber to do it so any disturbance can be dealt with.
But the question is can the clips be removed and replaced ?

Yes they can and its a 15 minute job for a heating technician :!:
That's great, and would you have a suggestion of what new clips can be used when they are put back.
Would like to put back clips that decouple the pipes from the wall, perhaps with a rubberized ring.
Is it going to be possible to put back something like this (I ask because they are fixed on a centre screw) ???:

http://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/images...ed-steel-pipe-clip-clamp-p7502-1770_image.jpg

(Car exhaust insulators are too big).

Turning into a mare this one.
Plumbers don't want it as it a sound proofing job.
Sound proofers definitely don't want it as it is a plumbing job.
Plumber told me yesterday not possible to remove pipe clips from wall as the central screw is behind the pipe, and also not possible to fit munsen clips as they are a different distance from wall.
Now in the culster*** zone.

The problem was the rest was not correct.

But feel free to spread your negativity around.

As A previous post???

Suggest you Sound Proof the inner surfaces of the Cupboard, Including the door. and the floor or as much as you can

OK You will use more material but ?

Thanks that's what I intend but if we can't remove pipe clips (can't find a plumber who wants to) then it means cutting lines in the acoustic panels to slide past the clips. Is do-able though.
2nd problem though is that about 40% of the noise is transferred directly through the clips - what can be done about that without taking down the pipes ? Possibly it might be poss to open the gate on the pipe clip and slide in a thin piece rubber like from an inner tube, but not sure a profesional plumber wants to do it.
Some say it's too non-standard and they are not interested.
Others want to find what is malfunctioning in the system ... but I believe it is functioning as intended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back