pipe clips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a plumber or heating engineer I want to remove a skirting so I can line the walls with wood.

Unfortunately when the central heating was put in this room the engineer decided to screw the pipes to the skirting instead of under the floor.

I need to remove the clips so I can remove the skirting and get behind the pipes. I can then fit my panels and refit brass clips to hold the pipe. At least make them look slightly better than plastic

The problem is the clips. All I do is break the clip with a bradle between pipe and the front of the clip and unscrew the clips from the wall. But still cannot remove it as it is tight between walls and pipe. before going under the floor or into the radiator which obviously cannot be moved without a lot of work

Am I missing some easy way of doing it or what can I do? I have about ten clips to remove and replace.

Thanks

Attachments

• WP_20170927_001.jpg
    WP_20170927_001.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 173
  • WP_20170927_002.jpg
    WP_20170927_002.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
All I do is break the clip with a bradle between pipe and the front of the clip and unscrew the clips from the wall. But still cannot remove it as it is tight between walls and pipe. before going under the floor or into the radiator which obviously cannot be moved without a lot of work

In English please?

In short, how do you get the clips off and away from the skirting.

First time anyone accused me of not writing in English. Is it your first language ?

Sponsored Links
Strange to say, that is what I have tried but the pipe cannot be pulled out. There is not leeway for it to move. But thanks anyway
No need to reply as I am not enjoying this conversation any more than you seem to be.

OP: you'll be in the same situation when it comes to resecuring the pipes back with brass Munson rings!

You need to...
Isolate rad by closing valves
Drain rad
Uncouple pipes from rad
Pull pipes away from wall and clips
Do your thing
Reverse above to reinstate

Otherwise you'll be between 2 fixed points all the way :)

I was hoping I would not have to do that but it seems like the only way. I was thinking I could slice through the clips behind the pipe, separate the two parts and pull them out that way. I was hoping someone had a "trick of the trade" that might work before I tried anything

Thanks

If you have a multi tool you could cut the screws behind the pipe, plastic in situ. Once skirting removed will that allow enough room for the wood you want to attach to the walls.
Also thinking if it’s that tight easier and quicker to drain down and remove radiator
Regards david

I was hoping I would not have to do that but it seems like the only way. I was thinking I could slice through the clips behind the pipe, separate the two parts and pull them out that way. I was hoping someone had a "trick of the trade" that might work before I tried anything

Thanks

As others have said... multitool to get them off but how're you gonna get replacement clips back in?
It's a simple task to drain and remove the rad... that way you can also clad behind the rad!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back