Ridiculously Long Wait for Parts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for boiler parts?

There was an accidental back-flow of water into our Vaillant Eco-tec 824 and the fan mechanism was damaged. Possibly the gas valve and electrical display too: the later appears to be fine, but the engineer said he'd order a spare just in case (if he doesn't fit it, we won't be charged). Said engineer came last Friday (23rd April) and reckoned the parts would be through on Monday. We're still waiting for them.

When I've got through to the receptionist, she says she'll find out what's going on and get back to me. She never does. We've been without hot water and heating for over a week now. Is it normal to wait such a long time for spares, or should these parts be easily obtainable and the company I'm dealing with is lackadaisical? The engineer they sent round seemed very professional, but the receptionist seems to be messing us about.

On Tuesday I'll be phoning again. If the parts still aren't through I'm tempted to knock the company on the head. However, my worse fear is that we'll start all over again with someone else (another long wait for parts).

What should we do? To paraphrase the Clash, should we stay or should we go now?? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most parts are freely available for next day delivery in my experience.

Which company is it?

Most parts are freely available for next day delivery in my experience.

Which company is it?

I'd rather not name them as I'm not sure what the legality of doing that is (slander?).

At any rate, I left a disgruntled message on their answer machine earlier today and it did the trick as they just got back to me. Receptionist was hugely apologetic and has guaranteed that the parts will be with them by Wednesday, so have booked me in for Thursday morning.

Not a great ending, but probably quicker than if I start all over again on Tuesday with another company. Certainly won't be using them again...

Sponsored Links
Phone the local spares stockists and see if a fan is in stock...if so find another engineer.

Vaillant had significant problems over the winter period since their downsized their spares to improve cash flow. Perhaps it is still ongoing.

if you need all those spares which you said, you'd be better off getting vaillant to fix it on a fixed price, they'd have all the parts on the van.

if you need all those spares which you said, you'd be better off getting vaillant to fix it on a fixed price, they'd have all the parts on the van.

I didn't realise that they did that. Good info to know, thank you.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Those fixed price repair schemes are designed for boilers which have become faulty as a result of a genuine fault.

Few companies are likely to cover a repair on that basis if the boiler has been damaged by flooding, hammer attack or being run over by a lorry !

Because of the pricing of spare parts it could well be cheaper to buy the parts as a full kit by purchasing them as a whole new boiler.

Tony

Perhap's the installer or service company ,is in the same postion as you , promised by supplier who for what ever reason cannot deliver ??? we have in the past had similar problem's , agile is correct fixed price repair would not be appropriate in your instance , unless u were economical with the actual allertare ???? :)

If it got wet due to a rubber hose failing that is a known ecoTEC problem and you may have been treated better by Group Service.

I agree that Vaillant customer support has gone downhill before anyone points this out.

As a matter of interest & to show my ignorance who are or what is group service ??????????? do not vaillant employ there own service engineer's anymore ????

they are vaillant glow worm heatline and who ever else they own ,engineers for all ,thus "GROUP" service

simple innit mate!!!! :p :p

You should have got in touch with vaillant group,people like Agile will come to their own conclusions and advise against,speak to them direct and see what they have to say you will be pleasantly surprised how they will look after their customer

Whilst parts should be availible quickly, it is not un-common to be kept waiting for parts to come from manufacturers, most boiler makers buy in the parts and they too have to wait sometimes, everybody is in the same boat and a little patience with your service Co will go a long way as service clerks in the office do get upset by customers blasting them, when in reality they have done everything in their power to source parts only to find that Vaillant are waiting for fans to come in from ebm etc etc ;)

I was once quoted SIX weeks for a Vaillant boiler part "because it had to come from Germany" !

It was a pretty rare ( well the only one I have even seen ) Vaillant instant water heater.

Of course my reply was that DHL will deliver within 24hours.

The reply was that Vaillant have their own transport for spares from Germany to Dernyshire and that takes them six weeks! Horse and cart ?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back