unable to buy parts without a corgi ticket horaaayyyyyy

Onetap said:
c) I want it fixed, preferably with the minimum amount of grief.

Perhaps I have not remembered the background but I thought that you had only heard of this situation two weeks ago and it is for some lady.

I am left wondering why you are so concerned about a third party situation.

You talk about the cost as if you were paying for it. I am left wondering if this is in a property which you own and rent out?

If so, or even in any other situation, why are you now contemplating doing gas work for which you are not registered, for NO payment and without any insurance in case you made any mistake?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Perhaps I have not remembered the background but I thought that you had only heard of this situation two weeks ago and it is for some lady.

You talk about the cost as if you were paying for it. I am left wondering if this is in a property which you own and rent out?

An elderly lady.
I may. And no.

Agile said:
I am left wondering why you are so concerned about a third party situation.

If so, or even in any other situation, why are you now contemplating doing gas work for which you are not registered, for NO payment and without any insurance in case you made any mistake?

Tony

Pro bono.

Scimmed though this post and seems to have lost track.

I take it you have one form of manometer and some form of LDF and are fairly competent in ther use.

I hazard a guess that the leak is from a compression fitting the installer has used, around two weeks ago you got involved as this lady is an aquaintance. Then my sergestion to you is do as the "cowboys/illegal/diyers" do and make a sound repair, checking Tightness of installation, ventilation of appliances bonding at meter Ect, then put your name to it and accept any come backs if any in the future.

Follow instruction of reporting offending RGI, He will be asked to make good any faults.

PS. Dont take my advice on repairs as condoning gas repair by anyone as mistakes happen and results can be catastrophic ;)

Onetap said:
BG have nothing to do with this tale.

then why mention them?

Why would it get worse? There's no oven under it.

i dont know you tell me. i didnt say it would get worse i said it may get worse. its certainly not going to get any better.

you seem to be a bit of a ditherer. i cant see how this old woman has any more trust in you than any RGI as you havent solved the problem either.

after 2 weeks i would have hoped you would have just gone round and fixed the leak rather than blaming everyone else for it.

RGi or not you seem to think yourself competent so why not just fix it?

Sponsored Links
Onetap i bow to your superior knowledge .You can look at a bubble from a leak and know how much of a drop there is without putting on a gauge. After attendending thousands of leaks this is a trick i have never managed to master. So you must be right i am no good at my job and wrong i don`t work for BG..

You certainly show your lack of the basics with the question why would it get any worse , How does a perfectly sound initial installation (prob not this one) ever leak at all . Simple fact is you have knowingly left a leak when you know you should not have this is as bad as the first guy if he did actaully have a leak when he left.

namsag said:
Onetap i bow to your superior knowledge .You can look at a bubble from a leak and know how much of a drop there is without putting on a gauge. After attendending thousands of leaks this is a trick i have never managed to master. So you must be right i am no good at my job and wrong i don`t work for BG..

Everyone else managed to follow the simple account above. You seem to be hard of understanding.

I said; "I checked the pressure loss to see whether there might be other leaks from inaccessible pipework. With an electronic differential pressure meter. "

I checked it with a differential pressure meter which I usually use to measure static air pressures or, with a pitot-static tube, to measure air velocities in ducts. It measures to 1 Pa, which is 0.01 mBar.

Got it?

I can look at a water manometer, ( accurate to 0.25 mBar or thereabouts) which may not appear to be dropping, and know that this doesn't necessarily mean that there is no leak. Nothing clever about it but apparently beyond you.

namsag said:
If leak is big enough to bubble it`s big enough to show on a gauge..

Wrong.

namsag said:
You certainly show your lack of the basics with the question why would it get any worse , How does a perfectly sound initial installation (prob not this one) ever leak at all ..

Yes, how does it?
That is the question, which you haven't answered.

Possible reasons could be corrosion, vibration, mechanical damage, movement of the pipework, leaks from valve glands or plug cocks, heat damage to seals, defective pipe or components, etc.. None of those apply here, so why would it start leaking or why would it get worse?

IMHO it wouldn't, it's very probably been like that from day one.

Why did you leave BG? Did you jump or were you pushed?

It's strange how recounting the failings of one RGI unleashes a torrent of abuse from other RGIs. Not a good day for the guardians of the sacred knowledge.

nickso said:
RGi or not you seem to think yourself competent so why not just fix it?

120ish mile round trip, I'll fix it when I'm there next.
Why should I ( or anyone else) have to fix it?

Onetap . You really want to make your mind up first you say you checked it with bubbles with no mention of any sort of gauge then you say you checked with a manometer with no mention of a electronic gauge now its the use of a gauge and then you drove 60 mile there to check it if you are going to all this would it not be easier to fix it. Your full of shi#e and making it up as you go along.

Lets forget about all the mud slinging. Taking the basic facts, you say there is a leak, you say the original installer left it like this, so, as you have now visited the property to test it and found the leak you are now the last competent person on site, therefore in law your responsibilty to turn off and report or fix. That is the fact, no matter what spin you may put on it. You have publicly stated on here that you have left it leaking :eek: Brave man :rolleyes:

namsag said:
Onetap . You really want to make your mind up first you say you checked it with bubbles with no mention of any sort of gauge then you say you checked with a manometer with no mention of a electronic gauge now its the use of a gauge and then you drove 60 mile there to check it if you are going to all this would it not be easier to fix it. Your full of shi#e and making it up as you go along.

Why, thank you, backwards Gasman!
You need to read it carefully to understand.

I was in the area.
I thought she must be mistaken. I could smell no gas.
I could see one compression joint, so I put bubbly stuff on it.
It went bubble, bubble, bubble.
"Oh dear", I said.

I got the electric metery thing from the boot of the car.
The gas pressure went down by about 3 to 5 Pa.
"Oh dear, oh dear", I said.
I will fix it when I'm next in the area, doing what it is that I do when I go there.
And they all lived happily ever after.

You're letting your side down a bit here. Do you need a picture?
Why ever did BG let you go?

Has anyone ever considered writing gas installation books in a comic-strip format. I think there would be a market for them.

I couldn't make this stuff up. No-one would believe it.

So lets get this comic strip right then. You just happen to carry the tools and electronic gauges and old fashioned manometer to put a test on a meter , but you dont carry an adjustable spanner or a pair of grips to nip up a single compression nut.

namsag said:
You just happen to carry the tools and electronic gauges and old fashioned manometer to put a test on a meter , but you dont carry an adjustable spanner or a pair of grips to nip up a single compression nut.

Sigh!

I had the electric metery thingy.
I have a Monument manometer somewhere in my shed.
I had no tools. I don't use tools in my work.
All I could do was check the pressure and test the joint with good old Fairy liquid. So I did.

(2/7/2012 Word in italics omitted previously. I found again this whilst searching for something else, 5 years later. All this happened exactly as I had said. My original point was that I'd would have expected the RGI to be embarrassed that his work leaked and to have fixed it without further charge. I suspect he hadn't fully tightened the joint in the expectation of being called back; I shall never know or care).

The trouble is onetap if you are going to lie and make things up at least have a good memory or the abiity to read what you have aready put . On page 3 of this topic you put. " the pressure loss is not discernable with a water manometer at the meter. it will wait"

Hell of a length of gauge rubber from your shed to sixty miles away..

No point discussing this anymore with you a you are clearly a liar and a danger to this sweet old lady with the leak

namsag said:
The trouble is onetap if you are going to lie and make things up at least have a good memory or the abiity to read what you have aready put . On page 3 of this topic you put. " the pressure loss is not discernable with a water manometer at the meter. it will wait"

No, I didn't.
I can spell.
I wrote; " ..." the pressure loss is not discernible with a water manometer at the meter."

As your colleague has told you, the minimum discernible movement of a U-tube manometer is 0.25 mBar or about 25 Pa. So a pressure loss of 5 Pa is indiscernible with a U-tube manometer. So you'd only be able to measure it with a more accurate measuring device.

It would have been inconsistent if I had told you that I had used a manometer to measure an unmeasurable pressure loss.

You keep going mate, you'll get there.
It's hard work, but I find it has its rewards.

Onetap, it's one thing to make a mistake and unwittingly leave an installation with a latent leak, but no competent person would knowingly leave an installation leaking like you're doing.

Since you say that you're competent then you're lying, or misguided, or both.

Whatever your reasoning and motives, it should be clear by now that not one single person is willing to join with you in your crusade against British Gas, RGIs, and CORGI, so if you have any shred of self-respect then now would be a spiffing time for you to simply go away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back