Rising damp in our livingroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Could I have your suggestions as to what's causing the dampness, please?

A year ago, I had the outer side wall in the alleyway of my house rendered , but during the course of the past 4 months or so we have been noticing dampness rising fron the base on the inside of that wall in our living room which I find very puzzling.
And it’s despite the fact that the wall rendering was diligently separated from the ground by 12 inches with the institution of a proprietary damp stopping metal strip. I should be very grateful for your help.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
I can only guess, but my first thoughts are that the render was made waterproof with an additive or too strong a mix. Then the damp which would have normally evaporated in the air is locked into the wall and showing up as dampness in the house. Maybe others might have a better idea.

I personally would not put any faith in a "proprietary damp stopping metal strip" I would get a reputable builder to check out the work done and also did you get a gaurnatee on damp-proofing method you had done?

Sponsored Links
Thank you ALL for your inputs.
I now have an instinct that too strong a mixture, as suggested be Joe , might be causing the problem. However , as rest of you have advised I would certainly get a reputable builder to check over the work and the damp proofing method used. Thanks you once again---its much appreciated.

Regards,
Wizardsaleem

am i correct in thinking the render holding moisture in would only be a relevant problem if the walls are not cavity and solid?

also consider the more common causes of damp in buildings:

look for a dripping gutter or leaking pipe or radiator above the damp patch, or a path or flowerbed against the wall above the DPC

do you hang wet washing about the house or do any of the other things?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

if you tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the inside of the wall, see if water forms as mist or beads on the wall side (or the room side) of the plastic.

@trowelmonkey1, cavities can be bridged, usually by mortar on wall ties (shows as spots of damp where the ties are) or full of rubble and muck at the bottom (shows as a damp line above the dpc). This is much less common now that walls are built with the insulation board inside that prevents much mortar falling down the cavity.

icon_thanks.gif

am i correct in thinking the render holding moisture in would only be a relevant problem if the walls are not cavity and solid?

I read it that the problem only arose after the wall was rendered so assumed it was solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back