Roofing regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my flat roof & boarding (on my extension) replaced, however am not sure what thickness the ply should be. All are 6mm, but should I use 50mm, 70mm, 90mm or 110mm? My roof is 6" by 12". Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
am not sure what thickness the ply should be.

If the joists are at an average spacing (around 400-450mm) the boarding should be 18mm.

The other thicknesses you quote are insulation? 140mm PIR board is the norm nowdays, but where and how it's applied depends on your roof design.

Incidentally, you have a very tiny roof :LOL:

I am having my flat roof & boarding (on my extension) replaced, however am not sure what thickness the ply should be.
What is it currently?

All are 6mm,
It's currently 6mm?

but should I use 50mm, 70mm, 90mm or 110mm?
Instead of 6mm? Bit of a jump.

Can you actually get plywood that thick? Why do you think you might want it to be that thick? Have you thought about the structural implications of such a huge weight of wood?

My roof is 6" by 12". Many thanks for any advice.
I wouldn't advise using plywood 4.33" thick on a dolls house.

Sponsored Links
I am having my flat roof & boarding (on my extension) replaced, however am not sure what thickness the ply should be.
What is it currently?

All are 6mm,
It's currently 6mm?

but should I use 50mm, 70mm, 90mm or 110mm?
Instead of 6mm? Bit of a jump.

Can you actually get plywood that thick? Why do you think you might want it to be that thick? Have you thought about the structural implications of such a huge weight of wood?

My roof is 6" by 12". Many thanks for any advice.
I wouldn't advise using plywood 4.33" thick on a dolls house.
Seriously BAS, are you really that retarded?

That's just a question of course you understand, I'm not actually saying YOU ARE RETARDED.

Seriously BAS, are you really that retarded?

That's just a question of course you understand, I'm not actually saying YOU ARE RETARDED.
Why do you ask that?

Do you think that reading the words someone has written is the sort of thing someone retarded would do?

Is that why you so often refuse to do it? Because you fear it would make you look retarded?

He really did ask if he should use 50mm, 70mm, 90mm or 110mm ply - try reading what he wrote.

He really did say that his roof was 6" x 12" - try reading what he wrote.

He did say those words but only someone who is retarded could fail to grasp that he made a few grammatical errors! :rolleyes: :LOL:

You have to deal with what people write.

Looking at their words and imagining you can see words which they did not write is the act of a madman.

I apologise for my wife (who was the one who wrote the enquiry in the 1st place), she's not a ****** or a bas****, just obviously got mixed up with her inches & feet (unlike some wifes who are convinced that mm's are cm's...maggots!).

Anyway, my roof size is in fact 6' by 12', the boards I am enquiring about are 'Thermal Ply': Incorporating at 6mm
WBP plywood upper surface & foil undersurface
Combining decking, insulation & a vapour control layer in
one board
May also be used under built up felt systems
2400x1200x(50+6mm)
2400x1200x(70+6mm)
2400x1200x(90+6mm)
2400x1200x(110+6mm)
2400x1200x(120+6mm)
The roof being replaced is on a extension I have on my kitchen & the reason I'm enquiring is because they (the company 'Safestyle' who were the ones who originally wrecked my roof & admitted they are responsible for replacing it at their expense) came to replace the asphalt & found that the thermal ply is rotten also. They've adviced me to replace it with 18mm roofing board, however, I'm worried they're cutting back on cost, hense my enquiring about the boards.

I am a regular on DIYnot who has all too often seen poorly written posts and am able to decipher what it is they actually mean. Really BAS its not brain surgery and why you have to make such a song dance about everything is a mystery.

I apologise for my wife (who was the one who wrote the enquiry in the 1st place), she's not a ****** or a bas****

Hi Ste.. Noone was calling you or your wife anything, and apologies if it was picked up that way - on forums like this, if the post doesn't have a quote and a response under it (like I'm writing here) it's best to assume that any particular post refers to the one above it, not your original one. Where you see "OP" that's a reference to "original Poster" (you) so I could say on the 10th post in a thread "OP, use 110mm insulation" and I'd be referring to something you wrote

BAS is a reference to the poster "ban-all-sheds". He's knowledgeable and helpful but can be quite scathing and very literal, taking what is written at face value and pointing out errors rather than assuming the spirit of the query. While one could purport that this is the most accurate way of communicating, it is rarely the most efficient because it involves each party getting everything 100% correct. I could bang on about the early days of computer communication and how the protocols were intolerant of errors but it would be a boring lecture. Let's just say that in the interests of efficiency, nature has adopted mechanisms to cope with certain amounts of errors being present in communication of anything from the basics of replicating DNA up to the highest levels of spoken dialogue..
..and some people on internet forums haven't got that far or choose to turn off their tolerance for errors

Hopefully it won't put you off using the resource that is DIYnot - there's a wealth of information here, you just have to pick out the odd fishbone of side discussion.

BAS said:
You and cjard have now made 5 about my 1.

And I'm the one making a song and dance about things? icon_rolleyes.gif

Post counts in relation to this tangent:

BAS: 5
FMT: 4
cjard: 1

Given that it takes two to tango and that internet discussion forums, by their very nature, involve discussion I don't think it's unreasonable to assert that you started the dance, and you continued it. Don't count your involvement as a single post when you perpetuated things..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back