RSJ installed badly? - Please comment on photos

Hehe

crying_baby2.jpg

plstering earlier today! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i was just trying to help the guy out the pics are of my work and trust me all the pople i work for are more then happy to pass my number on

Sponsored Links
Can't help but feel that somehow, my thread has been hijacked...

Just to get this back on course. The fact is nervous, it's not easy to see from the photos. On the face of it I can't see a lot wrong although the dark stuff around the ends of the beam does look a bit strange.

What you need to check are the bearings. Is the beam sat on brick/block masonry or is it a concrete padstone. What's the plan for the walls beneath the bearings - how much wall is due to be left in place and how does the builder propose removing the rest? I presume whoever designed the structural beam has checked the foundation to make sure it is adequate.

although the dark stuff around the ends of the beam does look a bit strange.

It's been gobbed up with mortar to either fill a gap between the beam and the brickwork, or to give a bit of restraint. Nothing bad

Just to get this back on course. The fact is nervous, it's not easy to see from the photos. On the face of it I can't see a lot wrong although the dark stuff around the ends of the beam does look a bit strange.

What you need to check are the bearings. Is the beam sat on brick/block masonry or is it a concrete padstone. What's the plan for the walls beneath the bearings - how much wall is due to be left in place and how does the builder propose removing the rest? I presume whoever designed the structural beam has checked the foundation to make sure it is adequate.

Agreed. There isn't enough information to know anything for certain.
Good point about the foundations...especially if shallow as the load won't spread back through to the ground below.

Anyway...you need to firstly get the calcs that have supposedly been done, and if you can't get them, you need to expose what's there and see if an engineer can prove what's there to be adequate. The engineer might want to expose the foundations...which would be a real pain...

Why do you not want to involve Building Control? It's only around £150 for minor works such as this, and you will get a completion certificate that will be very handy when if sell in the future. If you don't involve them, you can't be sure the work has been done to their satisfaction and might cost a lot more when you sell.

1. My helpful builder friend thought the dark stuff was cement and would indicate they didn't bother with padstones. He had very strong words to say about the builders I used (and if you see my other post about my extension roof, you might see why)

2. I'll upload a pic tonight of the wall as it currently is, along with measurements.

3. I'd like to think he actually used a competent SE, but really can't be sure. Seems I have no choice but to expose and get a new SE in (as well as BC).

Agreed. There isn't enough information to know anything for certain.
Good point about the foundations...especially if shallow as the load won't spread back through to the ground below.

Anyway...you need to firstly get the calcs that have supposedly been done, and if you can't get them, you need to expose what's there and see if an engineer can prove what's there to be adequate. The engineer might want to expose the foundations...which would be a real pain...

Why do you not want to involve Building Control? It's only around £150 for minor works such as this, and you will get a completion certificate that will be very handy when if sell in the future. If you don't involve them, you can't be sure the work has been done to their satisfaction and might cost a lot more when you sell.

Surly there is adequate foundations as from looking at that photo i think there used to be a wall there where mr builder nocked a great hole through, then placed in a steel to support the upper floor.

I can't see anything wrong with the job apart from it is abit messy, but plasterboard and skim will cover the yukiness :S

Would of liked to see some pad stones but can not tell clearly from the pic if they exist.

I am sure the job will look great once finished, he looks like he doesn't care to much about asthetics on stuff which are never to be seen again...

Why would you? Unless you have not got a clue on what you are doing :s

Surly there is adequate foundations as from looking at that photo i think there used to be a wall there where mr builder nocked a great hole through, then placed in a steel to support the upper floor.
Yeah, but if the footing are shallow (250mm or less in old houses) the load isn't going to spread far back along the existing footing, so is concentrated on the ends. Sometimes a stiff base beam is put in below floor level to spread the load back along the existing footing.

Would of liked to see some pad stones but can not tell clearly from the pic if they exist.
Without the calcs can't say if padstones are required, although would always specify them...could be an engineering brick under all the gunk I guess, although might not be enough either...

Why would you? Unless you have not got a clue on what you are doing :s
Well, because it's a legal requirement, ensures compliance with the building regs (which are there for a reason), and will prevent a whole load of stress if and when the house is sold...

Yeah, but if the footing are shallow (250mm or less in old houses) the load isn't going to spread far back along the existing footing, so is concentrated on the ends. Sometimes a stiff base beam is put in below floor level to spread the load back along the existing footing.

As far as I can recall, no work was done below floor level. Hope that won't be a problem especially as the new 'columns' are quite narrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back