RSJ installed badly? - Please comment on photos

Surly there is adequate foundations as from looking at that photo i think there used to be a wall there where mr builder nocked a great hole through, then placed in a steel to support the upper floor.
Yeah, but if the footing are shallow (250mm or less in old houses) the load isn't going to spread far back along the existing footing, so is concentrated on the ends. Sometimes a stiff base beam is put in below floor level to spread the load back along the existing footing.

I know how loading/spreading and whatnot works however think more about what you are saying instead of quoting bo**locks out of a H&S book.
Then again i could be wrong, would not know without being down there and having a gander.

Why would you? Unless you have not got a clue on what you are doing :s
Well, because it's a legal requirement, ensures compliance with the building regs (which are there for a reason), and will prevent a whole load of stress if and when the house is sold...

Did not say anything about not complying with building regs there buddy, just merely stating that imo there is no need to spend twice as long making works look aesthetically pleasing which is only going to be covered and only ever seen again when either to be taken down/ or to bricked back up again.

Sponsored Links
Don't know if this matters at all, but here's a pic of the finished job (as it currently looks).

Measurements (if they help?) are:
Pillar width @ 30 cm
Pillar depth @ 19 cm
Total width 390 cm

. I'd like to think he actually used a competent SE, but really can't be sure. Seems I have no choice but to expose and get a new SE in (as well as BC).

Not trying to make you think your house is about to fall down...that's not going to happen :!: :eek:
Nine times out of ten everything will be fine and if you choose to leave everything as it is, that's up to you...can imagine you're not keen on knocking your wall about again if it's all decorated and furnished...
But if you do choose not to do anything, there might be a risk of settlement of the footings, possible cracking, and issues if you sell.

*Edit* If it hasn't been designed properly

Sponsored Links
Don't know if this matters at all, but here's a pic of the finished job (as it currently looks).

Measurements (if they help?) are:
Pillar width @ 30 cm
Pillar depth @ 19 cm
Total width 390 cm

OK, what is the downstand from ceiling to bottom of beam?
Is the wall above masonry?
Do the floor and loft joists span onto the wall?
Any roof load to the wall?

If 19cm sounds like room for a 152x152 UC...

Don't you know 'Cracked Clay' when you see it Woods? You're such a filistine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back