Running a cable through the house...

Funnily enough, my router has 500GB of storage,
Why does a router need storage? It's job is to pass traffic from one port to another as quickly as it possibly can, not to hang on to any of it.

Because it also serves as my server. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than running my other server (which draws along the lines of 200-300W. 24/7.).

three copper NICs, and two fibre NICs,
I doubt that they are NICs, unless you, or someone, has built a router out of a computer. Which might explain the local storage. (And any performance problems you're having ;) ).

I build it out of standard PC hardware, yes. I can go into specifics if you like. Performance is not even remotely an issue, it performs significantly better than consumer grade routers, especially under load.

all gigabit. And futureproofing is never a bad thing.
Cat5e is fine for gigabit.

Cat6a will do 10Gb.

I was talking about switches, and providing a second cable (and port) to allow more than one gigabit link.

I cannot see any sense in considering fibre in a domestic network.

And I never suggested it. I was just throwing it out there with the rest of my router. I got a box of them for free, might as well use them (when I get some patch cables, fibre isn't cheap).

Security? What's that?
Are people going to be putting sniffers onto someones house wiring?

To be honest, I'm not certain how much of the signal can be picked up on the mains outside the installation. And with the level of 'security' offered by most of these devices, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Steve said:
Whats an NIC?

Network Interface Card.

Sponsored Links
He said it was a router...

Whats an NIC?
Network Interface Card.

nic.jpg

HSI_nic_display.gif

Security? What's that?
Are you running a secret spy base? If not, then the 56bit DES that is standard on homeplugs will be more than adequate...

My suggestion was to Alz0r, who presumably presumably just wants to extend his internet connection up to his bedroom.

He didn't mention fibre, GigE, NAS or military grade encryption. He just wants a neat solution that doesn't involve a visible cable running up his living room wall, and a pair of homeplugs would do just that.

Sponsored Links
I take it you have tried a wireless connection and you cannot get good signal.

It might cost a little for a wireless router and wireless NIC's but it would be a lot less hassle than running cables everywhere.

Because it also serves as my server. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than running my other server (which draws along the lines of 200-300W. 24/7.).

I build it out of standard PC hardware, yes.
But what you've built isn't really relevant to the OP, who probably has a COTS DSL router. Which may, or may not, have gigabit ports, but if it does then Cat5e will be fine.

Any top tips for making this a tidy job?
I'll be honest there is little or no chance of me installing proper sockets at each end...
You need to resolve the conflict between those two...

That said, do i need any special tools to dismount the connections to make the size of the holes needed smaller?
That is so not the way to do it.

If you don't want to use wireless, and you don't want to use something like those power socket adapters, then the way to go is to install network jack sockets at each end linked by Cat5e or 6a cable, not cutting the plugs off of cables and poking them through holes in the wall.

If you want tidy, do tidy.

If you don't want to do tidy then don't come here asking how to do it.

I build it out of standard PC hardware, yes.
But what you've built isn't really relevant to the OP, who probably has a COTS DSL router. Which may, or may not, have gigabit ports, but if it does then Cat5e will be fine.

Yes, the topic got lost back there with slup being silly.

Anyway, my previous point, that gigabit switches are more expensive than a second port, and 100mbit is too slow today, stands.

I beg your pardon?

slup said:
If all you're doing is getting connectivity from your front room router to your bedroom, then GigE won't ever factor into this.

Considering there are already (on trial though they may be) broadband services >100mbit in the UK, that's a very silly statement. And a very shortsighted one.

and 100mbit is too slow today
How is it? The OP wants a link between his router and a computer. The router cannot process data through the phone line any faster than 50Mbps (assuming cable). Why install better than what the router can actually handle?

My shop is wired between the tills, server and wireless APs in cat5e, but I bet it never gets close to 100Mbps. Certainly the router's link to the outside is only 128Kbps (still on an ISDN, awaiting a BB upgrade)

and 100mbit is too slow today
How is it? The OP wants a link between his router and a computer. The router cannot process data through the phone line any faster than 50Mbps (assuming cable). Why install better than what the router can actually handle?

Future proofing. As I've already said, services above 100mbit are already on trial. I don't expect them for some time, but it doesn't make sense to limit oneself to 100mbit equipment at this stage.

I build it out of standard PC hardware, yes. I can go into specifics if you like.
I'd be very interested!

Why not wait for the original poster? Instead, all you've done is rabbit on about *your* installation which probably has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the original question.

He might be in a non-cabled area on a 2Mbit DSL connection for all we know.

Until we know to the contrary, my suggestion is just as valid as yours, but a damn site quicker, easier and less messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back