Running a cable through the house...

How is it? The OP wants a link between his router and a computer. The router cannot process data through the phone line any faster than 50Mbps (assuming cable). Why install better than what the router can actually handle?
Once he's got a connection between two points he might want to use it for other things, like a printer connection, or computer-computer, or NAS, or video...

You can get DSL routers with gigabit ports for well under £100.

Given that a wired link is always going to be better than wireless, and given that two jacks take no more wall space than 1, and given that it's no more work to run 2 lengths of cable than 1, linking the rooms with 2 5e or 6a cables is, IMO, a no-brainer.

Sponsored Links
I don't see why this is considered a 'future proof' opportunity. The OP suggested putting a cable on a wall in full view, this has to be considered temporary A 'future proof' install would be when you cable the whole house inside the walls and which might be considered a pretty permanent installation.

Once he's got a connection between two points he might want to use it for other things, like a printer connection, or computer-computer, or NAS, or video...

You can get DSL routers with gigabit ports for well under £100.

Given that a wired link is always going to be better than wireless, and given that two jacks take no more wall space than 1, and given that it's no more work to run 2 lengths of cable than 1, linking the rooms with 2 5e or 6a cables is, IMO, a no-brainer.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. My whole house was flood cabled with Cat5 when I refurbished, and my LAN is GigE.

But what I'm not trying to do - unlike Monkeh - is to force that opinion on anyone. It was the right thing for me to do at the time, and I'm glad I did it, but that doesn't mean it's necessary for the original poster.

As it stands, the original poster has a simple requirement of getting broadband connectivity from one side of the house to the other without having to clip a cable up the wall or otherwise mess around with furnishings.

For crying out loud, I merely offered a suggestion, and as I've said once already, until the original poster joins back in with the conversation, this argument is nonsensical.

Sponsored Links
Because it also serves as my server. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than running my other server (which draws along the lines of 200-300W. 24/7.).

I build it out of standard PC hardware, yes. I can go into specifics if you like.
I'd be very interested!
Bet it's not Windoze based...

Of course it isn't.

But what I'm not trying to do - unlike Monkeh - is to force that opinion on anyone.

Of course, by offering my opinion on your suggestion I'm forcing mine on others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back