Running power to garage through garden - how?

earth-pressure-balance-tunnel-boring-machine-epb-tbm-385102.jpg

Sponsored Links
How does that 'mole' in the link work? Would that be easier than digging a trench?

Any ideas on rough prices for an electrician to design and then check the installation if I do all the work?

Sponsored Links
How does that 'mole' in the link work?
Looks like it's pneumatic, so add the cost of hiring a compressor.

You need an access pit at each end of the run, and you need to be sure it won't hit any underground services on the way.

Would that be easier than digging a trench?
Probably not.

Any ideas on rough prices for an electrician to design and then check the installation if I do all the work?
Get people round for quotes, and tell them you'll arrange for the trench.

dig the trench, put the pipe in and take photo's of it with a tape measure showing the depth it's at, then add 6 inches of sand and a warning tape and take more photo's.. then a bit more sand and then backfill..

make sure you have a rope down the pipe as a pull through..

I think you'd need the pushing rig and rods for that mole as well..

Hi - why are you recommending taking pictures - for a buildling inspector or electrician to sign it off or then do the work himself?

if you put in a duct for the sparky, he has no idea how deep it is or if you've put the required warning tape etc on it so he shouldn't strictly speaking sign off saying that the cables etc are safely installed to the regs..

All the more reason to involve the electrician from the outset rather than getting him in when the duct is laid and the trench filled in, saying "don't worry - see these photos".

If you want to reduce the costs, simply dig the trench yourself (i believe pls check) that is 450mm deep. Then let a properly qualifed sparky do the rest. (oh and as said do any work in conjunction with your electrician)

Moles (the type mentioned above - not furry/blind ones) are great, often used for running news cold mains service. The mole uses percussive action via a internal weight moving back and forth, powered by hydraulics - run off a compressor, to hammer its way forwards.

As mentioned you need access hole at the start and end of the run, and sometimes in between depending on length of run. You put it in first hole, aim it (hopefully correctly) and just push it into the soil, and off it goes - pulling itself thru.

The proper guys usually have a quick sweep around the intended route with a services detector to try avoid hitting anything - some dont, and the results can be messy! I've seen a 2" mole take 5 mins to break through the concrete edge of a foundation wall, you could feel the impact from 20ft away. Defo easier than trenching + quicker too!

you sure it's hydraulics?
wouldn't a liquid dampen the movement of the weight and make it less effective?
most "hammer action" things are pneumatic..

you can't compress a liquid either so is it a hydraulic pump run off a pneumatic compressor? seems a bit silly when you could just have the motor drive the hydraulic pump directly..
;)

I helped my electrician and saved some money by digging a 70' trench down the side of the garden, we went down 1 metre, it was back breaking. This was about ten years ago, wish I'd known of moles then.

Does the mole pull the item through with it i.e SWA, drainage pipe etc
How would you get a warning tape through ?

then add 6 inches of sand and a warning tape and take more photo's.. then a bit more sand and then backfill..

why all that sand...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back