Sat dish but no Freesat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New house has an existing sat dish, and my LG tv is satelite ready so no box (should be) needed.

On TV settings I've checked its set for 'Astra 2'. Then use the search for programmes function - this takes around 3 minutes (10%, 30%, 50% etc) and finally finishes the search having found..... 0 prohrammes!

So why is it not finding freesat programmes?

The cable from the dish to the TV has 2 wires, but only one of them has a fitting that screws into the back of the TV. The adjascent connector on the TV is of the push-in variety (like on a terrestial TV aeriel).

P1010003.JPGP1010005.JPGP1010007.JPGP1010008.JPG

Sponsored Links
The adjascent connector on the TV is of the push-in variety (like on a terrestial TV aeriel).
From the (very poor) picture, it appears that there is an adapter attached to the F connector - something like this...

1690147627770.png

This can be detached.

...although there is still no guarantee that the other cable will work!

Additionally, is LNB power on in the settings?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just checked satelite settings and LNB power (whatever that means!_ = was off. Turned it on.

'DISEqC' also off (again - no idea what tht means). but turned it on.

and 'Unicable' off too Likewise.

Also changed postcode from my old house to new one.

Still no progarmmes found

Note: signal strength 0% and signal quality 0%.

Dish may have a wideband LNB for Sky Q, which will not work for Freesat.
Any way to check this?

If so, what is the solution? House is in a valley where normal antennays don't pick up terrestial TV, so no freeview. I'm just looking for basic freeview/freesat....!

Last edited:
Those F-plugs are screw-on and I can't see any centre copper pin. If that's bent over or not inserted in the F-socket properly then no DC power will get to the LNB... The thin (4.5mm diameter) WF 65 shotgun cable is especially easy to bend over.

MUCH BETTER pics of the LNB (it has a label on the side with make/model) and the plugs (close up rather than from a distance)? But the cables vs LNB shield positions suggests a standard quad to me. Google Images for Sky Q LNB to see examples of Q wideband and hybrid and probably standard quads.

EDIT:
NB Freeview is via a UHF TV aerial. Check your Freeview predictions using this: https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/detailed-transmitter-information
Freesat is via a dish. Freesat is a propruetary EPG and Logical Channel numbering system. Not all TVs support freesat and are just free to air satellite tuners. (e.g. my brand new Panasonic OLED in not freesat). Those are a pita to keep up to date and order the chanels to how you'd like them.

EDIT2 https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowle...wall-plates#how-to-attach-an-f-connector-plug

Last edited:
Since only 2 connections I think special for SkyQ, it will not work with standard satellite receivers. @Lucid will likely tell you more, when I had SkyQ installed they used a hybrid LNB 4 standard and 2 skyQ outlets, but had to ask for it special.

@flameport seems to say the same.

Since only 2 connections I think special for SkyQ, it will not work with standard satellite receivers. @Lucid will likely tell you more, when I had SkyQ installed they used a hybrid LNB 4 standard and 2 skyQ outlets, but had to ask for it special.

@flameport seems to say the same.
I disagree because of the location of the wires into the LNB... That's typical of how $ky technicians connect to the older quad LNB with 4 inline connectors. (More modern ones have the 4 side by side). $ky Q wideband LNBs have only two connections and in side by side form. Hybrids are different but usually distinctive and the two Q wideband sockets are close together, not apart as in the photo.

$ky Q wideband LNBs don't work properly but there have been reports of something received.

I strongly suspect a connection issue and a remake of one or both F-plugs would be my starting point.

NB The OP's TV set is likely not freesat as the first thing on a freesat tune a need to input a postcode (and for reception of the freesat 'home transponder' to use that code input to set region/nation to use). It has one sat input (the F-socket/screw in) and the other is for a UHF TV aerial.

It was the two wires bit, most LNB's tend to be quad, unless the TV has a means to record, then there would only be one satellite connection. The other is likely for the terrestrial aerial.

My TV also has a connection for the LNB, however I found it only part worked, it seems unable to switch the LNB from vertical to horizontal when doing the scan, so only get half the programs, and it is not freesat, the program guide does not work, I have had a few free to air (not freesat) boxes, and some were better than others, I use an Icecrypt in my bedroom got from Maplin years ago, it is HD and still works well, but I select the order of programs. And the EPG is a bit hit and miss.

I have googled satellite ready, it seems in some cases the satellite bit has to be added to the TV
It has connection at the back of the radio for satellite. You have to purchase accessories for it to be operational. Radio is a receiver but it requires a additional satellite signal receiver an adapter to plug on the back of the radio.
Are you sure your TV has the bits required?

NB The OP's TV set is likely not freesat as the first thing on a freesat tune a need to input a postcode (and for reception of the freesat 'home transponder' to use that code input to set region/nation to use). It has one sat input (the F-socket/screw in) and the other is for a UHF TV aerial.

TV is LG 43UQ75006LF from John Lewis. Link:

described as
Digital tuner Freeview HD and freesat HD

I specifically them about freesat as I knew the new house had no terrestial reception. so no freeview.

MUCH BETTER pics of the LNB (it has a label on the side with make/model) and the plugs (close up rather than from a distance)? But the cables vs LNB shield positions suggests a standard quad to me. Google Images for Sky Q LNB to see examples of Q wideband and hybrid and probably standard quads.
New pics:

Attachments

• p1010001.JPG
    p1010001.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 137
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 96
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 99
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 108
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 114
It was the two wires bit, most LNB's tend to be quad, unless the TV has a means to record, then there would only be one satellite connection. The other is likely for the terrestrial aerial.
The LNB on the dish has a figure of 8 aka shotgun cable (two cables joined as one) split apart to the two (out of 4) sockets on said LNB. That shotgun cable goes through the hole in the wall into the house and is split apart a bit and terminated with two F-plugs. Both cables are for satellite.

OP stated in the first post that there is no UHF TV aerial in this "New house" (to them) in a Valley location. Just this dish.
{NB I always take the 'no UHF TV reception in this location' with a big pinch of salt. Things have improved since the digital switchover with transmit powers and the immunity to 'ghosting' issue cf the old analogue TV days. That's why I gave the Freeview predictor link.}

The markings near the TV F-socket will likely state what it is for (but is unreadable in the picture provided). I'm certain the TV has a satellite tuner as the OP has found the satellite installation screen.

Sometimes you post about stuff you really don't (seem to) understand and that can cause confusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back