Sat dish but no Freesat

The bad weather does not have to be close to you; it could be where the data (programs) are transmitted to the satellites (uplink). That will disrupt the programs.

This link should help with program information.

Satellite Cluster Info

Astra 28.2 Info

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks.Have now checked thelink you gave me:

That is just a list for the general area, you mention being in a valley, which might mean no reception. Better than a list, ask local neighbours what their reception is like, and look for other TV antennas. TV antennas, mounted on tall poles, suggests possible issues with reception.

The bad weather does not have to be close to you; it could be where the data (programs) are transmitted to the satellites (uplink). That will disrupt the programs.

The uplink signal strength is much stronger than the downlink strength, so any problems due to weather, will be very local. Even then, problems due to reception are very unlikely, if the dish is properly aligned.

Well, my three LG sets all include both Freeview and working sat, the sat comes up with the correct programs/EPG for my own area. I don't make much use of sat, but I have it running from an old sky dish, with single LNB.
I have a new LG TV set with a satellite input. I also have an unused Sky dish that’s been up and unused for about 20 years and the cable is routed to the same back box as my TV aerial. All it would need is for me to get a TV/Satellite faceplate and connect it up and get a connector lead from the faceplate to the tv. If I did this, would I get any satellite stations or has the Astra satellite moved in that time?

Sponsored Links
I have a new LG TV set with a satellite input. I also have an unused Sky dish that’s been up and unused for about 20 years and the cable is routed to the same back box as my TV aerial. All it would need is for me to get a TV/Satellite faceplate and connect it up and get a connector lead from the faceplate to the tv. If I did this, would I get any satellite stations or has the Astra satellite moved in that time?

Assuming LNB and cable etc. was sound, you would have access to sat.

Good/bad weather is likely tropo or sporadic e, it is what radio hams love as can get some really distance contacts, but other radio users hate.

Best is to talk to neighbours see if they had same, common is Sulfolk never seen it in Powis.

LG sets do ask you to enter where you are country, county, town.

How long was the outage? We seem to get sporadic outages in poor weather, next day it's fine.

Any of those, plus if the signal goes in poorer weather, misalignment. There will be a signal strength and quality display in the menu, check that..

Very unlikely, there would be millions of complaints.
yes country town etc all enterered.
Outages seem to be from a couple of hours to overnight/12 hours.
Can't work out how to check signal strentgh....

That is just a list for the general area, you mention being in a valley, which might mean no reception. Better than a list, ask local neighbours what their reception is like, and look for other TV antennas. TV antennas, mounted on tall poles, suggests possible issues with reception.
Yes in valley (west london) and local houses have tall tv antennass, but I thought that's for terrestial TV (eg freeview). Surely sat dishes point up would not be affected so freesat should work?

Yes in valley (west london) and local houses have tall tv antennass, but I thought that's for terrestial TV (eg freeview). Surely sat dishes point up would not be affected so freesat should work?
If you can find the signal strength/quality metering in the telly it might be helpful- when you lose signal is it just quality dropping off?
The other issue you might be getting is condensation/moisture in the LNB. The one I use on the caravan is fine if I leave power on to the LNB all the time (so just switch telly off, leave Freesat box on). Heavy rain/frost/dew and box switched off overnight tends to not work the next morning.

The uplink signal strength is much stronger than the downlink strength, so any problems due to weather, will be very local. Even then, problems due to reception are very unlikely, if the dish is properly aligned.
Times we have lost the program I've looked at the info page on the system 100% signal 0% quality. That points at Uplink rather than downlink issues.

I've been to a location near London in a wooded valley where the only terrestrial TV reception was from Rowridge and ultra-fringe reception. Satellite needed a dish on the other side of the road from the house to clear the trees and impractical.
Another valley just outside Hemel Hempstead was similarly difficult for satellite due to the trees on the rising land.

There are phone apps that allow you to see the satellite in the sky using the camera... (I use an Andorid one called Satellite Dish Pointer). Use that to check for local obstructions.

But the issue sounds more like DC power/connection/losses to me... perhaps heat expansion/contraction related? Possibly consider replacing the cables with quality all copper WF100? {Any cable maker marks on the existing could help identify what is there currently.}

You just need to connect one of the sat cables F-plugs to the TV. Most Sat/TV plates are filtered units and not whet you (likely) need if multiple cables come into the room. Dish is possibly pointing at the old Astra analogue position 19.2 East if well over 20 years old? More likely to be on 28.2 East, though. Digital satellite started from 28.2 East around 1998 (25 years ago). Compare yours' pointing direction with other dishes locally?

Sat should work almost anywhere, I use one in the tourer caravan, for that reason. It uses a tiny too small dish, so it does rarely lose reception, as heavy storm clouds go over. The dishes may appear to be near vertical, but they are offset - they look up, so no need for them to be mounted high, as some installers do. My own dish is reachable from the ground.

must have tried every button/option but can't find how to test signal strength....

Settings> programmes > Tuning and Settings > then at the very bottom 'Signal Test'

all settings> general > programmes > Programme tuning and settings > satellite > freesat > programme tuning
No signal test though.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back