Sat dish but no Freesat

Sponsored Links
{NB I always take the 'no UHF TV reception in this location' with a big pinch of salt. Things have improved since the digital switchover with transmit powers and the immunity to 'ghosting' issue cf the old analogue TV days. That's why I gave the Freeview predictor link.}
OK in theory I have Freeview the Moel y Sant transmitter is within range. However it has so few channels not worth the effort, so as far as I am concerned satellite or internet is the only option, specially with radio, the only FM VHF transmission I can get is the local heritage railway repeater, and one radio ham. And in theroy I should not listen to the railway repeater with my radio, although I do when working near to the line.

Yes I am now licenced to use HF and I do have a large enough garden for an inverted V aerial, but with internet I hardly use my licence, PMR466 is about the limit today. I note some aerials on vehicles around length for 10 meters, so assume CB still used around here.

But shot gun cable points to Sky, and with Sky+ any one of those cables should work, but if SkyQ then no. And satellite ready is not the same as satellite receiver is fitted. It could be an optional extra. I looked at the manual and it says
Connect the TV to a satellite dish to a satellite socket with a satellite RF cable (75 Ω). (Depending on model)
it seems likely then some models don't have it?

However your link does state it has Freesat, so unless mis-advertised it should have it. I would suggest you see if anyone has a box you can borrow to see if LNB is OK, one could go round in circles, and a set top box is easier to carry place to place than a TV, my 12 volt set top box had a sat finder built in.

OP stated in the first post that there is no UHF TV aerial in this "New house" (to them) in a Valley location. Just this dish.
{NB I always take the 'no UHF TV reception in this location' with a big pinch of salt. Things have improved since the digital switchover with transmit powers and the immunity to 'ghosting' issue cf the old analogue TV days. That's why I gave the Freeview predictor link.}
Thanks.Have now checked thelink you gave me:

Digital transmitters​

NameReception SummaryRegionParent TransmitterGrid ReferenceDistance (km)Bearing°Aerial Group NowAerial Group After
Most Likely TransmitterCrystal PalaceGoodLondonN/ATQ 33940 7122036124A H,T HA H,T H
Alternative TransmitterCrystal Palace (Local Mux)
GoodLondonCrystal PalaceTQ 33940 7122036124A H,T HA H,T H
Alternative TransmitterHemel HempsteadPoorLondonCrystal PalaceTL 08790 044901419B V,K VB V,K V
Alternative TransmitterHemel Hempstead (Local Mux)
GoodLondonHemel HempsteadTL 08790 044901419B V,K VB V,K V
Alternative TransmitterSandy HeathPoorAngliaN/ATL 20472 494466015A H,T HA H,T H

Coverage prediction​

• N
    Channel
  • S
    Served
  • M
    Marginal
  • yellow -Variable reception
  • green - Good reception
  • red - Poor reception

Crystal Palace​

Step
DateBBC AD3&4BBC BSDNARQ AARQ B
NSMNSMNSMNSMNSMNSM
Now28 Jul 202323919526939530-959725469122439128-5291
Final prediction202523919526939530-959725469122439128-5291

B***! lost the colour. BBC A, D3&4 AND BBC B are all green, the rest yellow

So looks like I could just get an ariel fitted...

Sponsored Links
Freesat is via a dish. Freesat is a propruetary EPG and Logical Channel numbering system. Not all TVs support freesat and are just free to air satellite tuners. (e.g. my brand new Panasonic OLED in not freesat). Those are a pita to keep up to date and order the chanels to how you'd like them.

They (LG) don't make it easy to switch their sets from Freeview, to Freesat mode, and back again - but I have just switched to Freesat, to take a look. On my LG sets, satellite channels are marked as 'Freesat' channels.

I've found no obvious quick way to switch from view to sat, other than doing a retune, or adding a favourite Freeview and a favourite Freesat channel, to the home button, along the bottom. Anyone found a better way to switch between the two?

A telephoto lens on a camera will capture that label on the side. Possibly a very high res camera zoomed in also. Or a shot from off a ladder closer to the LNB.

But do re-make those screw/twist on F-plugs as per the instructions posted. It's not rocket science to do so (and is a useful skill to acquire).

The prediction numbers (for interference from other transmitters) are perfectly fine for Crystal Palace but... living in a valley means reception is not always simple and care needed in aerial positioning. If too close to the hill toward the wanted transmitter it can block signals and trees are not accounted for in the prediction tools at all.
Triangulation and distances suggest to me you're in the Colne Valley - around Harefield/Denham/Maple Cross? Though I could easily be wrong. There are, I know, a few 'blackspots' in parts nearby. (Bottom of Batchworth hill in Rickmansworth is especially difficult).

Speak to neighbours about their Freeview (terrestrial via UHF aerial) reception? Check what aerial types you can see on nearby rooftops. That may give more confidence in getting good reception.

Well I appreciate all the input folks, but no further forward.

Any idea how toidetify a reliable local guy to come and sort it out? Most so-called 'local' companies (their websites are littered with references to my town) turn out to be naltional with no meaningful address so who knows who they really are......

Wonder what the cost would be to get an aerial installer out. About £50/£80 my guess. I think thats the way I would be going. Get ait all explained to you.

Well I appreciate all the input folks, but no further forward.

Any idea how toidetify a reliable local guy to come and sort it out? Most so-called 'local' companies (their websites are littered with references to my town) turn out to be naltional with no meaningful address so who knows who they really are......
What have you tried from the advice given?

Installers: Usually best to ask your neighbours, friends, work colleagues and family who they have used to do such work. So a personal recommendation.

CAI is a aerial/dish installer's 'club' and have a lookup at https://www.getmeviewing.org.uk/

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/business/consumer-advice/consumer-advice.aspx#traders may also be worth a look? The Council Trading Standards' "Trusted Traders" lists.

Call a few for advice and see how professional they seem and if they have 'local knowledge' of your location.

Update - good and bad....

I got an installer out and he traced the problem back from the TV, connections, cabling to the LNB. Fitted a new LNB (and probably overcharged me) and all worked fine.

Till last week. Then suddenly 'No signal' message onscreen. Called the company and arranged a visit for the next day, but after 7 or 8 hours suddenly freesat was back. OK, cncelled the call out.

Worked fine again till last night then "No signal" so rang again and they are booked for tomorrow afternood, but blow me down it's working again!

Is this a poor connection on the new LNB?
A faulty LNB?
Dish mis-alignment with the satalite?
A problem with the satalllite itself?

Or is it impossoible to tell without the guy vcoming out again? My concern is that if it's working when he comes, he'll just say "It all seems fine", charge me a call-out fee, and leave.

NB The OP's TV set is likely not freesat as the first thing on a freesat tune a need to input a postcode (and for reception of the freesat 'home transponder' to use that code input to set region/nation to use). It has one sat input (the F-socket/screw in) and the other is for a UHF TV aerial.

LG sets do ask you to enter where you are country, county, town.

Are you sure your TV has the bits required?

Well, my three LG sets all include both Freeview and working sat, the sat comes up with the correct programs/EPG for my own area. I don't make much use of sat, but I have it running from an old sky dish, with single LNB.

Is this a poor connection on the new LNB?
A faulty LNB?
Dish mis-alignment with the satalite?

Any of those, plus if the signal goes in poorer weather, misalignment. There will be a signal strength and quality display in the menu, check that..

A problem with the satalllite itself?

Very unlikely, there would be millions of complaints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back