Saturday Night Discrimination Quiz/Guess

Sponsored Links
The plot thickens.... OK - B32 MCB and B16 RCBO.
Without commenting on its correctness (in terms of what happened) I suspect that is what many/most of us would have guessed as the most likely (if we were told that more than one device operated) - certainly me.

If you like thickening plots, I would add that there is also a slight 'intellectual twist' to the question as well!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Right, we've had votes for most of the protective devices - so this is where I make it a bit harder for you all ... we are not looking for a single answer - more than one device operated!!
So, which one(s) of that selection of protective devices do you think/guess had operated as a result of the fault?
I see what you did there ;)

I'll stick to my guns and say, 32A and RCD at CU.

The plot thickens.... OK - B32 MCB and B16 RCBO.
Without commenting on its correctness (in terms of what happened) I suspect that is what many/most of us would have guessed as the most likely (if we were told that more than one device operated) - certainly me.

If you like thickening plots, I would add that there is also a slight 'intellectual twist' to the question as well!

Kind Regards, John

Does '... class 2 ... ...no contact with earth...' have some perverse significance, I wonder...

I'll stick to my guns and say, 32A and RCD at CU.
Any theories as to why you think the RCD may have operated? As I indicated, there was no 'earth contact' - in fact, the cable was cut 'in mid air', and the 'live' cut end fell onto a (dry) paved patio.

Kind Regards, John

I know of some RCD protected socket outlets trip when power is cut, so now leaning toward 32A and RCD at outlet.
That's a good point. If so and it is an active RCD socket that means the power to it was cut so I'll now say this RCD socket and the 16A RCBO.
OK, I'll give in slightly and award some sort of prize to EFLI (and PBoD), since this was the additional 'slight intellectual twist' to which I referred. The (active) RCD socket did operate, but I presume as a secondary consequence of operation of an upstream device (there's one clue for you all!).

HOWEVER, that was 'additional'. More than one of the other devices also operated!

Kind Regards, John

Any theories as to why you think the RCD may have operated? As I indicated, there was no 'earth contact' - in fact, the cable was cut 'in mid air', and the 'live' cut end fell onto a (dry) paved patio.
no theories, just irrational thoughts and aimless stabs in the dark at that moment.

so upstream of Active RCD only leaves 16A RCBO, 32A MCB, RCD@CU or maybe isolator at mini CU?
and looking at the combinations already offered process of elimination, leaves Active RCD and RCD at CU.
Have we got three devices now tripping?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back