Saturday Night Discrimination Quiz/Guess

Yes, thanks to PBoD.

Well, there are only two OPDs so rather than say both of these (32MCB and 16RCBO) I will guess the 16A RCBO and for some reason (functional earth ???) the main RCD.

Sponsored Links
so upstream of Active RCD only leaves 16A RCBO, 32A MCB, RCD@CU or maybe isolator at mini CU?
Quite - that's why I said it was (just about!) 'a clue'. One of the devices which operated was, indeed, one of those you mention above. However, don't forget that you're looking for more than one (in addition to the active RCD socket).

Kind Regards, John

So at least one of the upstream devices, and possibly one or more downstream as well...

Sponsored Links
so upstream of Active RCD only leaves 16A RCBO, 32A MCB, RCD@CU or maybe isolator at mini CU?
and looking at the combinations already offered process of elimination, leaves Active RCD and RCD at CU. Have we got three devices now tripping?
Indeed so - we have at least three devices operating. As I said, more than one operated as a direct result of the and, as you and EFLI have deduced, in addition the RCD socket operated as a secondary consequence of operation of other device(s).

Kind Regards, John

Well, there are only two OPDs so rather than say both of these (32MCB and 16RCBO) I will guess the 16A RCBO and for some reason (functional earth ???) the main RCD.
You (and others) may wish to revisit your assumptions there.

Kind Regards, John

Not sure why but -

5A fuse and all three RCDs.
willy_nilly.gif

I assume that the active device tripped due to power loss upstream, therefore nothing had blown or tripped downstream prior to this. So I would be looking upstream for the third device.
I might bring back the main fuse in to consideration :confused:

I assume that the active device tripped due to power loss upstream, therefore nothing had blown or tripped downstream prior to this. So I would be looking upstream for the third device.
That is indeed very logical and is, in fact, the main reason (other than fun!) I started this thread - because that is an issue I want to discuss once the answer has been revealed (which I guess I'll do soon!) ...so that is another clue, because I am effectively telling you that devices did, indeed, operate both upstream and downstream of the RCD socket.

Kind Regards, John

Hum.. 5A fuse & B16 RCBO (& active RCD, as given) :?:
OK, I reckon that's close enough to get the prize ... It was actually the 32A MCB and the 5A fuse (plus the active RCD socket).

However, as PBoD has intimated, that almost suggests that the fuse finally 'blew' after current ceased flowing though it.

In terms of discrimination, most of this doesn't surprise me - the biggest 'surprise' (for me) I suppose being that a 10A fuse survived a current which operated a 32A MCB.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back