Scaffolding Collapse in Milton Keynes

Sponsored Links
it made me a bit twitchy after reading that in the paper today , bearing in mind im working on scaffolding 11 storys up :eek: fortunately most people were on a tea break..

carpenter les said:
it made me a bit twitchy after reading that in the paper today , bearing in mind im working on scaffolding 11 storys up :eek: fortunately most people were on a tea break..

Unfortunately 3 people were not ! :(

Sponsored Links
carpenter les said:

Me too, I was working on some scaffold 16 floors up t'other day, heard a loud rumble of thunder, an' thought eh, eh, with this wind I'm off, I'll be back on site tomorrow after my well deserved break. Coincidentally I work in MK too, small world ;)

this is down to sub workers on sites not being trained .. any guys who work in the building industry now what I mean ..:(

Yes I do Moz, They are pushing for all tradesmen to be C.S.C.S (health and safety) registered. I got told the other day that they are handing them out to the Polish etc willy nilly, with the requirement of ONE in ten has to speak English!!

Moz said:
this is down to sub workers on sites not being trained .. any guys who work in the building industry now what I mean ..:(

One wonders whether the dodgier "employment agencies" using East European labour etc, bother to check credentials.

I am not suggesting this is the case with this accident and hope the injured are all OK, but i've been on sites where the agents, etc, have had to draw diagrams and use sign langauge.Some sites are a joke :eek: :LOL:

I'm afraid until we start training are own apprentices etc again, the situation will only get worse.

tawelfryn

its not just the poles standards are MASSIVE different .....I hope this nightmare will

fines yes companies an bosses

No Bosses get jail term ..

doubt ..it :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

not tough bosses .................

maybe a Angel Of Death ...;)

who swoops an takes out these men ..;)

FEAR ......................................................................

NO stellas in the fridge ..thats mine

As a scaffolder for over 20 years, the only reason for the collapse of a scaffold like is gross negligence. IMHO the reason it came down is because it wasn't tied-in properly. Looking at the photos on the BBC website it wasn't tied through the windows (revel tie method) , cos the windows are shut and intact. Tower blocks are well known in the scaffold game for being wind catchers anyway, making tieing even more important. The building looks cladded as well, which would have ruled out tying it in with hilti rings and anchors.

Of course, and this is again only my opinion, since we have adopted the new EN safety code as apposed to the BS5793 which was tried and tested for tube and fitting scaffolds, your going to see more of this.

just as a post script, i saw an article in a national paper detailing a goverment backed course for training scaffolders - four weeks long. scary man i tell you

I hope the men injured soon recover but notice that the scaffolding company involved have been warned about safety issues on previous occasions. Sounds to me like someone was trying to cut costs at the expense of others :cry:

On our local news last night they interviewed someone as some kind of expert on this as he has a brother in the 'construction industry'!

paulbrown said:
Moz said:

One wonders whether the dodgier "employment agencies" using East European labour etc, bother to check credentials.

I am not suggesting this is the case with this accident and hope the injured are all OK, but i've been on sites where the agents, etc, have had to draw diagrams and use sign langauge.Some sites are a joke :eek: :LOL:

I'm afraid until we start training are own apprentices etc again, the situation will only get worse.

There are so many eastern europeans in the construction industry down this neck of the woods none of the local labour can get a start .Last job I phoned up I was asked if I could speak Polish.If I had known there was going to be such a influx of eastern europeans into the industry I would have started learning Polish 2yrs ago :(

Sponsored Links
Back