Screed rails

Sponsored Links
What have pipes got to do with laying block paving?
This is a how a pro does it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwSIkkZVBaA[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's amazing.

It's amazing how that "pro" just turned up and all the bedding sand was magically level and even.

What have pipes got to do with it? :rolleyes:

Seen an online video with a guy using this pipe method so I get the gist off whats being acheived. But it wouldn't be practical on a large area.

On the large area as in that video you would just use a laser level (preferably with a grading facility) and a bomag roller or large wacker plate.

On the large area as in that video you would just use a laser level (preferably with a grading facility) and a bomag roller or large wacker plate.
Hmm yes, ideal advice for a diy forum.

I have also seen tractors used with a rubber muck squeegee for levelling screed sand, but ho hum it is unlikely that Johnny DIY will be laying 10 acres of paving any day soon eh Norconihaventgotaclue.

Hmm yes, ideal advice for a diy forum.

I have also seen tractors used with a rubber muck squeegee for levelling screed sand, but ho hum it is unlikely that Johnny DIY will be laying 10 acres of paving any day soon eh Norconihaventgotaclue.

I didn't see 10 acres in that video clip.

Though I think you'll have a run to pipe center for a load of gas pipe to do your levelling. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There is no other way if you want accurate levelled or graded paving, than to use rails to form the level of the bedding.

If you want something like an Alton Towers ride, then yes don't use rails

Though I think you'll have a run to pipe center for a load of gas pipe to do your levelling. :LOL:
"Think" - i doubt you have done much of that.
You slide the screed rails along dummy, therefore you only need a pair. Tubular rails slide easier than most other shapes.

Worra plonka. :rolleyes:

There is no other way if you want accurate levelled or graded paving, than to use rails to form the level of the bedding.

If you want something like an Alton Towers ride, then yes don't use rails

We level concrete flooring to within 5mm accuracy over vast areas with no screed rails.
Don't see the need for them for a bit of sand either where it would be levelled to spot on accuracy (ie - within 1 mm)without any screed rails.

We level concrete flooring to within 5mm accuracy over vast areas with no screed rails.
Don't see the need for them
We don't use screed rails when doing concrete floors either!

Why are you comparing the processes of completely different jobs with block paving? Are you on drugs?

Stick to what you know - digging holes, you are good at that. :LOL:

Drives don't tend to be level though

I'd use a libalullah vibrating screeder for levelling a sand screed.
5 times faster and compacts the sand as it passes.

Also no need to be faffing around down on your knees trailing a screed board and pipes.
Also no pipe track to fill in afterwards.

Also no need to be faffing around down on your knees trailing a screed board and pipes.

You do not put the block pavers down on compacted sand or dust, that is why rails are used on top of the compacted half to dust, once the pavers are down you run a whacker plate with rubber mat over the blocks.

You do not put the block pavers down on compacted sand or dust, that is why rails are used on top of the compacted half to dust, once the pavers are down you run a whacker plate with rubber mat over the blocks.

A libalullah isn't a compactor.
Though it will compact to a slight degree. If the surface is perfectly level as the libalulla will leave it then a slight compacting won't matter.

Also have a look at that earlier link. Those guys are laying unto a compacted surface.
The secret is to have it level.

Does this vibrating screeder provide falls, cambers, curves etc like you would need on a driveway?

Is it wieldy i.e. can it be used if the driveway narrows down?

Block paving is usually laid with a sturdy pair of knee pads because most of it is done on your knees.

Is any advice you have given relevant to diyers that are paving driveways?

Does this vibrating screeder provide falls,
Yes

Yes

No but then neither will the gas pipe unless you start bending it. And if you do then just run the libalulu over in a single pass.

etc like you would need on a driveway?

Is it wieldy i.e. can it be used if the driveway narrows down?

Its a one man job.
You can fit what ever size of screeder you want up too 3m.

Block paving is usually laid with a sturdy pair of knee pads because most of it is done on your knees.

Is it?
Those guys in the link earlier were not down on their knees.
I'd hazard a guess they wern't down on their knees either when they laid the sand screed.

Is any advice you have given relevant to diyers that are paving driveways?

Not unless they own a libalula. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back