Sealed system, is it a DIY option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve a slow dial up connection and ie keeps crashing !! when clicking on search results so please don’t flame me when I ask these question that may have been answered before.
I have an elderly conventional C/H system with a F&E tank in the loft. I’m doing some renovation and would like to get rid of the tank and go to a sealed system.
1) Can I simply take out the tank and pipe in the pressure vessel onto the feed line. ?
2) Does it matter that the pressure vessel is at the furthest run from the boiler?
3) Until I lift the floor boards I can’t be sure if the original feed is on the flow or the return line, does it matter for the pressure vessel.
4) The prv will have a pipe run of 15 feet before it exits through a wall, Its not ideal but is it acceptable?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Yes it matters a lot. not least of all is the boiler suitable for a sealed system.

In principal what you are saying is correct. I have come across many of these simple alterations and in fact know that this is part of the criteria of many short plumbing courses as the task is lawful without some type of ticket.......:cool:

1. Yes
2. No
3. Continue through existing feed
4. Seen em much further away.......!

DO NOT OVERPRESSURISE, Pressurise only to 1.5 bar....!

This is a grey area in plumbing, Corgi's may tell you to BEWARE or not Dabble, I've seen radiators that have 'never worked in 15 years' come alive after pressure vessel installation.

Good Luck

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:

Bad Advice Gary59

What about the boiler.

Virtually re-pipe from the boiler

Overheat stat.

Motorised valves.

Fully pumped.

Pump over-run.

Pressure relief valve.

Can the boiler be converted to a sealed system.

Piece of cake if you know what your doing and you can answer the above questions.

Otherwise BANG !!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
In Principal

errrrrrrr sorry, but how can it be bad advice, IN PRINCIPAL.... :?:

I knew whilst typing that I'd get this feedback.

OK, Paddy, Be Careful.....!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

ps. Never change a tap without wearing your nuclear fallout suit....:cool:

I think that you mean in PRINCIPLE.

A principal is the boss or a main item such as a cistern or city etc.

Do what you like :rolleyes: ,Eire I presume, so not densely populated and far enough away from me to worry ;) :LOL:

I stand corrected by Agile.....:cool: I did think a few of DIYNOT's principal characters may appear on this posting..... :LOL: Although it was a mere slip of the finga's....!

Garry59,
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, at least you gave more than a one liner! I guess everything is a piece of cake if you're an expert OR get the right help..
Checked the suitability of the boiler which is a Warmflow and the instruction manual confirms its suitable.

It may be of help to future readers to read this installation pdf found at
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Flexcon_12_litre_Expansion_Vessel.html

Paddy

I'm afraid to say that these helpful souls are the eyes and ears for the leaders of the Nanny State we live in today.

Anything that stretches the boundaries or requires the ticket that they posess, they clam up and try bouncing you away with humorless wit. ;)

Mostly, though, they are very helpful to all posters as you can read from the many topics they contribute towards.

I'm pleased to have contributed, Good Luck.

ps......Although I have not said this before, it really is a piece of cake and once the job is done you will be amazed how simplistic the changes are...!

Get one thing quite clear.

Not all boilers can or are suitable for a sealed system

Had the poster told us the make and model we could have adviced better, he still has not done that, only said its a warmflow boiler (oil I guess)

Plonking an expansion vessel and a few fitting does not make it safe, and advicing to do so without knowing the facts is putting the poster at risk.

Rant over if you don't like it tuff.

gary59 said """Although it was a mere slip of the finga's....!

I would answer, really? Twice in succession?

And as for "humourless wit" , I thought that I had the copyright (!) on that!

Back to Paddy's boiler, if the manufacturer's instructions say it can be pressurised then obviously it can.

However, just pressurising it is not all thats involved ! It has to be fitted with a suitable expansion vessel and with a pressure relief valve set at the pressure recommended by the boiler manufacturer. Not least, the vent has to be safely taken to a warning pipe in a visible location or via a tun dish.

Tony Glazier

Yes, lets get one thing clear............

''Ceteris Parabis'' anyone like to spell this correctly..?

Or should I simply say ''All Things Being Equal''

You can pressurise your boiler.................!!!!!! Hip Hip Hooooorah......!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back