sealing plaster that is not going to be painted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to seal plaster which is NOT going to be painted. I want the walls to be washable, but do not want the colour or texture of the plaster changed. I tried a small section with pva glue, but it is shiny - I want to retain that soft, matt look. I have used standard gypsum plaster. Any help on buying a suitable product would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately your link took me to a blank page. Could you maybe try again. Really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately your link took me to a blank page. Could you maybe try again. Really appreciate it.

Link works for me, may be your browser?

Go to diy.com website (BnQ) , search for plaster sealer

Do not use standard PVA, that’s not waterproof either & will re-emulsify when wet & you will never be able to paint it successfully at any time in the future. If you want to wash it, you need to use either an acrylic or SBR primer or drywall sealer will work but I don't know how these will meet your other requirements.

Out of interest, why don’t you want to paint it?

Why dont you find some paint that colour matches finished plaster, then paint it with that!!

It looks wonderful right now. It has that stressed Mediterranean look. No, I didn't use Italian stucco plaster, but I didn't know when I started, that you had to use a different type of plaster, and my plasterer didn't offer advice. It was only when I reached the sealing stage that I hit a brick wall (pardon pun.) It would break my heart to cover these lovely walls in boring old paint.

What would happen if I left it unsealed? Dirt - wouldn't be noticeable for quite some time. Moisture - well... that could be a problem in the winter months, as there is usually a little condensation on the windows.

I suppose I could go over it with the correct material, but right now, costs would be a problem. Could I leave it as is for a while, then do it properly in the future? Would it last a couple of years?

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.

perhaps you could find plaster-coloured emulsion, and use a sponge to mottle the colour and texture?

it will certainly be cleaner and will not make dust that brushes off on your clothes.

don't put PVA on it whatever you do.

what plaster was used was it muli finish? ive never come across someone that dident want to decorate it, if its white knauff ive seen this polished up to look like stone and not painted, any chance of some pics of this nice plasterwork?

what plaster was used was it muli finish? ive never come across someone that dident want to decorate it, if its white knauff ive seen this polished up to look like stone and not painted, any chance of some pics of this nice plasterwork?

Yes, multi-finish, gypsum plaster - a sort of pale terra cotta colour. I DO want to decorate, just not with paint. I was hoping I could find a sealer that is invisible, but apparantly not. I think my only option is to buy the correct (stucco) plaster and go over it.

Yes, multi-finish, gypsum plaster - a sort of pale terra cotta colour. I DO want to decorate, just not with paint. I was hoping I could find a sealer that is invisible, but apparantly not. I think my only option is to buy the correct (stucco) plaster and go over it.
multi finish with a stressed Mediterranean look? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back