Secondary Consumer Units and Connectivity

Did they not issue an EIC for their work?

And what about all the circuits in the outbuilding? Got an EIC for those?

Not too worried about these so much, as the cabling is still exposed and can be visually inspected. Nothing is connected at present. Its very much 1st fix cabling stage.

Sponsored Links
Can one issue an EIC for a piece of buried cable that's never been connected to anything or for a number of circuits that have never been connected to a source of power or energised?
Why not? You can certify that they were designed and constructed properly, you can carry out continuity tests,IR tests...

sticking to the 'voltage drop limit' specified in Appendix 12 is simply one way of satisfying 525 (per 525.3). If one can demonstrate that one's lighting equipment is being supplied with an adequate voltage for proper functioning, then one can satisfy 525 via 525.1 and/or 525.2.
Is the latter quote actually true?
Yes, it is. That quote of mine you've produced is over two years old but, although the regulation numbers have changed since then, they still say the same thing.
Would mean the 3% drop can be ignored most of the time.
In theory. However, in practice, one would have to find a way of 'proving' that the 'safe functioning' of the lighting equipment was not impaired by the voltage drop in question, and that might not be straightforward. In that context, 'safe functioning' probably goes beyond electrical safety, since impaired lighting can lead to secondary dangers.

As was discussed in that old thread, if one has a very long feed to an outhouse (it was 350m in that case), it is well worth considering alternative lighting strategies (e.g. ELV lighting with a very supply-voltage-tolerant power supply - or even a battery and charger), so as to avoid the 3% VD limit. However, as we've established, this isn't really an issue in the current thread, given that there is only ~40m of 25mm² cable.

Kind Regards, John

Can one issue an EIC for a piece of buried cable that's never been connected to anything or for a number of circuits that have never been connected to a source of power or energised?
Why not? You can certify that they were designed and constructed properly, you can carry out continuity tests,IR tests...
You could, but what you'd end up would not be a fully-completed EIC, or Schedule.

The only really issue is any concealed (hence uninspectable cable), and my understanding is that, in the OP's case, that only applies to the underground feed to the outhouse. In all other cases, there is no sensible reason why a 'new electrician' cannot undertake and 'sign for' all the testing, and also 'sign for' all the design & construction, just as if they had literally done it themselves.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have an invoice for the cable thats installed. And I can honestly say that the cable in the ducting is one complete length, as I was present when it was installed. Surely an undertaking along with proof would be enough. Also, wouldnt an enhanced continuity test prove that there were no joins, in the same manner that RF signal degrades per metre over RG59 cabling? Or am I being naive here?
You're not being naive, but you're talking about very sophisticated and expensive equipment (as you imply, probably using RF) that no ordinary electrician would have - and, I would have suspected, no certainty of detecting joins (particularly if they were 'very good'). Then you would need 'ground penetrating radar' or somesuch to confirm that the cable was at a satisfactory depth throughout its length.

However, as I've said, I think that when you start talking to real-world electricians, you will probably find that there is, in practice, far less of an issue than BAS is suggesting.

Kind Regards, John

I was more talking about the fact that the OP seems to have installed a CU and a bunch of final circuits, and is wanting an electrician to come along, connect, test, and say he did the lot.

I was more talking about the fact that the OP seems to have installed a CU and a bunch of final circuits, and is wanting an electrician to come along, connect, test, and say he did the lot.
I realise that. However, as I've just said, even if that were the case (but see below), I really don't see a problem. If, as we've been told, all the cabling is visible and inspectable, the new electrician can effectively approve the design and construction of 'the lot', and test 'the lot' - just as would have been the case if, say, the work had been undertaken by an apprentice under his/her supervision. I would certainly not see any deviation from the spirit, and probably not even the word, of the certification process if this were the case.

However, recent posts from the OP suggest that it may not even be true that "a CU and a bunch of final circuits have been installed". It now sounds to me as if the situation may well even be that a CU and backboxes have been screwed to walls, and (visible) cables run between them, but with nothing yet actually 'connected' (i.e. a classic 'first fix').

As I said, it sounds as if the only real possible issue relates to the underground cable, and I suspect that even a (sensible) BCO would not get too excited about that. By analogy, if a house had an old, now unused (disconnected at both ends) cable which used to feed, say, a cooker or shower, I would think that (provided the cable tested OK) electricians would usually be happy to install a new circuit using that cable, without digging it all out to satisfy themselves about its routing.

Kind Regards, John

BAS. You are jumping to conclusions. The wiring has been carried out, to the CU in the out house, but nothing is connected. I am in first fix stage.

Plasterboard is not going on until next week, which is why I am looking for an electrician now, to complete this element, so that in November they can come back and connect up to the main feed when the energy supplier turns up to turn the power off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back