Self build Garage.

So if a wall will be damp above and below dpc, how does one overcome this.

You can't with a single skin wall unless you add additional protection to the external or internal face

In context, it won't be ringing wet dampness, it will be just a bit dmap after prolonged rain, and then it evaporates naturally.

The point I was really making is that a felt DPC is doing nothing at all to prevent damp on a single skin wall

Sponsored Links

You can't with a single skin wall unless you add additional protection to the external or internal face

In context, it won't be ringing wet dampness, it will be just a bit dmap after prolonged rain, and then it evaporates naturally.

The point I was really making is that a felt DPC is doing nothing at all to prevent damp on a single skin wall

My garage wall is single skin, 100mm wide with two coats of sand/cement render 4/1 with Sovereign waterproof in the mix, the inside of my garage is bone dry.

Do you think that it is dry because of the render and waterproofer? :rolleyes:

No! the roof tiles help keep the rain out and the felt stops the snow blowing in!

My house is in an elevated position with the rain coming strait up the Bristol Channel from the Atlantic, If I had not put water proofer in the mix the water would literally run down the inside.

Sponsored Links

Ok. So excuse my ignorance,by single skin you mean 1 brick that is 4.1/2 walland bouble would be 9 inches thick. If I follow the above instructions how do i build after filling with concrete. Thanks again for the help.

100mm thick, circa 4", if you build up as I explained, the next stage excavate the soil inside the walls, about a foot, if you have any stones or hardcore chuck them in the footings on top of the concrete, next you want 100mm of half to dust, level it of and whacker plate it down, next an inch of sand (blinding) lay your 1200gauge DPM on the sand and over the blocks, fill it up with about 4" of concrete, I use a ladder stretched over the concrete with a plank on top to enable me to trowel the surface up, put your DPC on top of the DPM and carry on building, if at a later date you want more out of your garage, ie office space, sleeping quarters for illegal immigrants maybe, build off the concrete slab.

Really appreciate it. Thank you. One final question before I take the plunge.

As I mentioned that the garden is end terrace with neighbour fence to the left,back and road to the right as looking into the garden from kitchen.

(The back wall aka right side wall of garage as looking from the enterance to garage)

Would a block wall be cheaper in the long term (render/ paint etc) or a brick wall which will be few courses of red engineer at base then facing and capped with staff blue. I want to do this double as this will be 2.5 metre high. Do i need deeper footings or is it ok as it is bracing the other 2 sides.

It depends on the soil in the bottom of the trench, you're looking for virginal ground and also do a test with a piece of broom stick or similar, if the stick enters the soil with ease then you have to go deeper but don't quote me on that as my knowledge on building walls is limited, I'm more your power stations, hospitals, office block and extensions type of bricky.

dpc prevents rising damp engineering bricksb are moisdtureb resistant the mortar is`nt unless you have some form of internal heating system . during the freezing winter mionths frost will penetrate a single skin wall .if the building is used for non habitable purposes building regs sre not required . it can be built off a 150,mm.fibremeshslab withn asheet of a142 reinforcing in on dpm largeb enough to lap onto the brick dpc

mass fill concret to 2/3 courses below existing dpc donein a day with RMC saves onalbour costs and the brickies back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back