Separate programmers for Y-plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a typical(*) Y-plan heating system with an old mechanical Danfoss 4033 programmer.

I aim to replace this with a digital programmer but I want to find one that allows the desired CH temperature to be programmed into the on/off periods. I had this in a previous property with a combi boiler and liked it because I could have a lower temperature (e.g. 18C) at certain times of the day and a higher one at other times (e.g. 21C).

This feature seems common for single channel programmer/thermostat combinations but not for two channel programmers, presumably because they normally fit in the airing cupboard with a separate thermostat so it wouldn't work.

I looked at RF programmers like the Drayton MT720R which seemed very promising but it turns out you can't program the temperate with the period, you can only override it from the RF thermostat. I don't want to be fiddling with a thermostat every day.

Is there any reason I can't fit two separate programmers? I imagine a basic one for timing the water (used with the tank thermostat) and a single channel programmer/thermostat for the central heating.

I can't see any obvious problems so long as all are run from the same circuit (of course) and the water controller has both "on" and "off" to match the current diverter / cylinder stat wiring.

Am I missing something?

* - one broken diverter (now replaced), spaghetti plumbing and a CH bodge left by the previous owner..

Sponsored Links
If you're looking for a hot water timer and programmable thermostat in one, have a look at the Danfoss TP9000.

Sponsored Links
If you're looking for a hot water timer and programmable thermostat in one, have a look at the Danfoss TP9000.

Thanks, that does look like the right kind of thing. However to mount it somewhere useful (e.g. where the current thermostat is) would mean some rewiring as there's only 3 core cable. This would suit a CH programmer (live, neutral, demand) but would not have enough pairs for HW on and off. Hence my question about using two separate programmers.

Nest. 2nd or 3rd generation.

Thanks. I was trying to avoid these ones but will take a look. Any advice on using two normal programmers also gratefully received.
Keep your existing two channel programmer and wiring, set heating always on at the programmer, replace existing dial type room stat with a programmable room stat, Horstmann Centaurstat 7 Room Thermostat being one.

Thanks hertsboilers, mogget and Terrywookfit.. that's three separate ideas to consider. I'll read into the Nest some more. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back