Setting the perfect flow rate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After upgrading my house pipework to 22mm I'm suffering from too much flow. About 60lpm static.

The niggle with this is that the heating coil in my boiler can't keep up. It does a good job trying though.

I'm thinking of getting some flow limiter valves fitted to the shower of about 18lpm each.

Something like this...

http://www.robertpearson.co.uk/products/water-flow-regulators/

and a 15lpm one for the bath.

Is there another way of doing it? I don't think a 12lpm shower total would quite cut it, something around 18ish.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can fit flow regulators.

But what pressure do you have static?
The water pressure in the UK can vary between 1 -20 bar.

If you have 4 bar or above then time to think about fitting a prv.

A heating coil is limited by its own heat exchange efficiency.
I doubt if you have 60lpm at the shower head.
If you're in a hard water area they can scale up.

You would have been better off with an unvented cylinder. I assume your previous system didn't struggle?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can fit flow regulators.

But what pressure do you have static?
The water pressure in the UK can vary between 1 -20 bar.

If you have 4 bar or above then time to think about fitting a prv.

I need to check my notes from when I measured it, I think it was about 5bar.

You would have been better off with an unvented cylinder. I assume your previous system didn't struggle?

Thats the good thing about assumption! I didn't have mains pressure hot water before, infact I didn't have any hot water :) I know I need to reduce the flow through the coil as the flow is demanding too much. I've got a scale, well lime filter on the incoming main.

If water is static then surely it's not flowing ;)

I'll get the same results as an unvented cylinder with the way the boiler is designed.

How can you have a static flow of 60 l/min?

apparently quite easy. I was getting 40lpm with old 15mm copper. Its just where I live, a few factors.

No such thing as STATIC FLOW, only one person in here uses that term and seeing as he's in the top one hundred gas engineers in the UK it must be correct.

Anyone seen telly tony lately?

apparently quite easy. I was getting 40lpm with old 15mm copper. Its just where I live, a few factors.

No such thing as STATIC FLOW, only one person in here uses that term and seeing as he's in the top one hundred gas engineers in the UK it must be correct.

Well call it what makes you happy, I use the term static as only one tap was open. One cold tap open in the bath, a 10ltr bucket fills in 10seconds, give or take a bit of water. Obviously its a bit of an issue!

Well call it what makes you happy, I use the term static as only one tap was open. One cold tap open in the bath, a 10ltr bucket fills in 10seconds, give or take a bit of water. Obviously its a bit of an issue!

Get the basics right and the rest will follow.

If you don't understand the difference between "static" and "moving" or "flowing" then how can we take the rest of your claims seriously?

But in answer to your basic question, those flow regulators are very good and I use them at home.

I'll get the same results as an unvented cylinder with the way the boiler is designed.

It's a coil inside a thermal bank is it not? They don't usually perform anything like unvented cylinders.

Get the basics right and the rest will follow.

If you don't understand the difference between "static" and "moving" or "flowing" then how can we take the rest of your claims seriously?

But in answer to your basic question, those flow regulators are very good and I use them at home.

I do understand, I just used it in the wrong context. I'm not making claims, just asking questions.

Thanks for the info on the flow regulators, I'll give them a whirl. Which ones did you go for, and on what?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back