Shower Pressure and low energy principles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

We've had a solar hot water system for 3 years now and are very pleased with its annual performance and our reduced energy bills as a result.

We have a simple open-vented arrangement with a cold header tank and twin coil hot water cylinder (installed at the same time as our condensing gas boiler).

So what's my question?

How do I increase the shower pressure without compromising my sustainability principles?

The twin coil tank is currently on the first floor, in the airing cupboard next to the bathroom; the header is directly above the hot water tank.

I think my options are to add a shower pump or to pressurise the whole hot water system.

Does anyone have any bright ideas for solving our conundrum and getting me some peace from the nagging about low volumes of hot water (baths and washable nappies for 2 babies) and what my lovely long haired wife describes as a dribble from the mixer shower head which is clear of scale!?

Sponsored Links
Yes as you have stated you could add a pump, or increase the height of the cold water cistern feeding the hot water tank, I'd go with a pump personally.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both. The Trevi Boost looks worth investigating. The challenge will be in getting mains pressure cold water up from the kitchen.

But using a mains pressure cold feed appeals more than adding head to our hot water, or adding a pump (albeit powered by the Ecotricity power we buy).

Even with the feed-in-tariff in place for the next 24 years, it may be a while before we pay for PV to sit next to our evacuated tubes.

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back