Sime Boiler fault - rubbish service from manufacturers...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've not used this forum before, so I hope I have followed all the rules!!

I have a Sime gas combi boiler - Format DGT HE 30. It was installed by a Gas Safe plumber in Sept 2012, who has also serviced it each year since then. It has been losing pressure over the past few weeks, and now seems to have blown up! It has switched off and there are scorch marks near the circuit board.

I have contact Sime, as it came with a 5yr warranty - who have taken 3 days to tell me that as the plumber didn't register the installation with Gas Safe at the time (he has since done so) that the warranty is invalid. They've sent me 2 pages of T&Cs that I've never seen before to confirm this.

:cry:

Have I got any other options, other than pay to have it mended (if possible?!).

Thanks in advance, Vicki

Sponsored Links
If its in there TC then i be ****ed off why gas engineer never registered the boiler, what for a sake of £2

Paul

This is the first time I've seen these T&Cs, and won't be making the same mistake again, I'll be checking that things are registered.

just really annoyed that Sime didn't make this clear when I first spoke to them and why do Gas Safe then allow backdated registration?!

I should imagine that almost all boiler manufacturers have it in their T&Cs that the installation should be registered with Gas Safe in order for the warranty to be valid. In any case, it's your responsibility as a homeowner to ensure that the registration is carried out, you should have chased your installer for a certificate

As for what to do now, you have three options...
You can insist that your installer fix the boiler for free as it is his fault that the warranty wasn't registered, and you don't see why you should have to pay to correct his mistake. This might end up in a legal fight and a long time without a boiler

You can pay to have the PCB replaced, have a working boiler again and be safe in the knowledge that Sime PCBs tend to be rather shaky and you'll probably need to buy another one in a few years' time. They're just over £200 to buy

You can replace the boiler with something more reliable

Sponsored Links
It's sad that as a one off inspection can't be done,other manufactures work with end users as you don't no the full ins and outs,that is the trouble with the smaller manufactures they dont think long term as now installers will not fit the product,I used to fit main brands but I fit Atags and to be fair if there are any issues they do everything to sort any issues out.
I feel for you but I would consider paying out for a part on a boiler that has a history of high failed rate,older models.try writing in and see if there is anything can be done as it may go to the right person this time
Good luck

Sime are pretty cheap boilers as boilers go.

To encourage people to buy them they say they have a long warranty.

But as they are sold so cheap they will do everything they can to get out of the warranty.

But have you had it serviced every years as also required?

Tony

I have a Sime gas combi boiler - Format DGT HE 30

Not wanting to sound negative, but, i would cut my losses and bin it.

I wouldn't spend a penny fixing it. Ok , if you could get it fixed for free under warranty, thats a different story.

Sime in general are pretty poor but the Format DGT HE is on a whole new level of junk.

Please read the Important Notice within
this guide regarding your boiler warranty

Front cover of the installation manual.

The appliance must be registered with both Sime Ltd and Gas Safe within 30 days of installation.

Page 1 of the installation manual.

Please read the Important Notice within
this guide regarding your boiler warranty

Front cover of the user manual.

The appliance must be registered with both Sime Ltd and Gas Safe within 30 days of installation.

Page 1 of the User Manual

Shyte boiler anyway - skip it and spend more than a fiver on the next one. ;).

Thanks so much to everyone, what a mistake that was getting a Sime! What would everyone recommend as a replacement, it is a 2 bed terrace with only one bathroom. I'd like something reliable from a reputable brand, that's not going to cost me the earth....next challenge is to persuade the original plumber to instal (& register!) for no charge....what a week! :D

Thanks so much to everyone, what a mistake that was getting a Sime! What would everyone recommend as a replacement, it is a 2 bed terrace with only one bathroom. I'd like something reliable from a reputable brand, that's not going to cost me the earth....next challenge is to persuade the original plumber to instal (& register!) for no charge....what a week! :D

Why should the original installer fit a different brand with all the extra work of modifying the pipework, at no additional cost?

Tony

....next challenge is to persuade the original plumber to instal (& register!) for no charge....what a week! :D

Not a chance, that would be beyond the call of duty... I'd be inclined to use someone else anyway, someone who doesn't recommend that you fit rubbish in the first place

As for brands, go for Intergas

I would have to say that for whatever reason it was the customer ( you ) who chose a budget boiler instead of a good quality one like Vaillant, Worcester etc.

Customers usually go for the cheapest.

Its very bad for an installer because we know that the lower the price the more likely we are to get the job.

I quote the same price for fitting any brand of boiler as its the same work involved. So I suggest three boiler models over top, middle and bottom price ranges.

Tony

Why go back to the same installer when the root of your problems is down to the fact he couldn't be a***d to benchmark the boiler?

Otherwise, this would have been Sime's problem, not yours.

His laziness has cost you big time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back