Sime Format C Combi Boiler - PCB problems?

Sponsored Links
In that case it was legal to fit it then and it only has a one year warrantee.

In that case you have got to decide how you are going to get it repaired.

Unless you were very competent with electronics, I would advise that you get someone to repair it for you.

As I expect that both the PCB AND another major component in the boiler has failed then fixed price repair deal will be the cheapest solution. If you do that check first to see the exact terms of the deal. Some only cover ONE part, others up to THREE etc.

If you get a dopey independent he may just change the PCB and watch the new one burn out again! If anyone did that then do not pay him for his stupidity!

Best of luck!

Tony

Hi,

I have asked Sime to recommend someone. He's coming tomorrow to look at it.

What do you mean by fixed price? How much do you think it will cost?

Cheers,

Victor

Manufacturers often offer fixed price deals...ie you pay them a fixed price for so many parts to be replaced. Just be careful..some of the warranties may only be 3 months or so. eg Glowworms deal is £250 to £300 dependent on warranty. Worcesters about £220 to £270. Also depends on area.

Sponsored Links
Well, the guy came at 5 pm today but at 1 pm, the boiler started in sync with thermostat. :eek:

Anyway, I was held over at work and couldn't be in to greet him. However, my wife explained the problems to him that we've been having and he said that the PCB appears to be fine (but the bloody diode had blown - how can it be fine). He said that the thermostat needed replaced. He said that seems to have caused the problem. He then took a cheque for £60 from my wife for the call out charge.

He said that we should take out a gas plan in future. What do you think of that guys?

can i have £60 too.

i've been just as much help, & this is my 1st post on this thread. :)

Should I cancel the cheque. I feel hard done by. He came, he saw and he picked up a cool 60 quid just before finish time. I am raging.

Manufacturers often offer fixed price deals...ie you pay them a fixed price for so many parts to be replaced. Just be careful..some of the warranties may only be 3 months or so. eg Glowworms deal is £250 to £300 dependent on warranty. Worcesters about £220 to £270. Also depends on area.

glow worms "deal" is £215.

Should I cancel the cheque. I feel hard done by. He came, he saw and he picked up a cool 60 quid just before finish time. I am raging.

I dont know why you are raging! He came and did exactly what had been asked of him!

It you were in London and asked us to call then it would have been £84!

I do have to say that I would have tried a bit harder to see what was going on and would have traced the circuit to see what that diode really does!

Tony

It's a diode bye the way and might have simply taken itself out.
Indeed it does look like a diode.

It could be a Zener diode in which case they can run hot (they work as a voltage regulator) and discolour the PCB/Plastic around them.

Is the diode physically burnt out ? Is it a charred remnant or does it just look like its got hot ?

It could be a Zener diode in which case they can run hot (they work as a voltage regulator) and discolour the PCB/Plastic around them.

Is the diode physically burnt out ? Is it a charred remnant or does it just look like its got hot ?

Not that hot though!

If you look at the pictures, you can see for yourself !

With that degree of overheating I would not expect it to still be working!

Tony

I've seen zeners working all day in temperature in excess of 130 degrees C (not good practice though). The discolouration on the case could be due to a fried diode but could also be due to the extra air convection around the zener or even prolonged exposure to the higher temperature generated by the zener (the PCB on my Potterton boiler is discoloured around the zener).

Hence why I asked if it looked like it had vapourised or not ;)

Running any electronic component at temperatures that are too hot to touch make me nervous though.

On the other hand it could well be a vapourised diode :)

Looking closer at the slightly clearer picture, the end of that "burnt" device looks a similar colour to the 3 resistors to the left of it.

Can the original poster verify this ? It could well be a £0.01 resistor that has gone but these normally go for a reason rather than just wearing out or developing a fault.

If the original poster can also look at the silkscreen on the board it will have an identification for the component written in white.

I.e. R1 / D1 / C1 / T1 etc

R generally stands for Resistor
D generally stands for Diode
C generally stands for Capacitor
T (or sometimes Q) generally stands for Transistor (or Triac / SCR etc)
U generally stands for a Microchip
L generally stands for an Inductor or Coil
ZD generally stands for a Zener Diode

Hi,

It is still intact but blackened a little and there is blackening around the plastic casing. However, my heating has started to work again. Strange?

It says R28. The resistors to the left are the same size and colour.

That will be a resistor then.

Much as I'd like to advise you to make a note of the value/test it, this would be beyond your experience so I can't advise any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back