Sime Format C Combi Boiler - PCB problems?

Manufacturers often offer fixed price deals...ie you pay them a fixed price for so many parts to be replaced. Just be careful..some of the warranties may only be 3 months or so. eg Glowworms deal is £250 to £300 dependent on warranty. Worcesters about £220 to £270. Also depends on area.

glow worms "deal" is £215.

Not down here it isn't.

Sponsored Links
That will be a resistor then.

Much as I'd like to advise you to make a note of the value/test it, this would be beyond your experience so I can't advise any more.

Who would I get to do this? I won't touch it. Does it mean getting someone to replace the resistor or would it mean fitting a new pcb board?

Get everything tested and the board replaced (if it really is blown...many components are undersized and look terrible but still function :) ).

That will be a resistor then.

Much as I'd like to advise you to make a note of the value/test it, this would be beyond your experience so I can't advise any more.

Who would I get to do this? I won't touch it. Does it mean getting someone to replace the resistor or would it mean fitting a new pcb board?

Resistors don't just normally go of their own accord, they normally fail due to another fault on the board so if it has gone then I'd suggest a new board as well. You could get an electronics engineer to replace the resistor with a like for like replacement if the markings on it are intact and can be read off (they have colour bands on them). If the new resistor goes again then you know there is another fault there somewhere.

Sponsored Links
My friend's Dad is a TV engineer and deals with PCB boards. I have asked him to replace the transistor.

*** resistor *** by the looks of things.

Make sure he replaces it with one of the same rating and value. If it goes again then its either one of three things.

1. The PCB manufacturer has underspecified the power dissipation of the component.
2. There is a fault elsewhere on the PCB which is causing this component to overheat
3. Both of the above

Thank you for your helpful post. I keep saying bloody transistor rather than resistor. Sorry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back