Skills needed for newbuild compared to refurbishing old?

T

teaboyjim

Are new build houses put together like lego and is less skill required than refurbishing old properties?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
A house built from Lego would be probably be better than a house built by some developers
Has the general house building quality gone down over the past 20 or so years?

Would you say that the general house building quality has gone down over the last 20 or so years?

In the case of housing developments where the developer builds and then sells the houses i would say yes quality of build has gone down, several architects have the same opinion, and the decline began more than 20 years ago.

Sponsored Links
That’s not necessarily down to the lack of skill of the individual trades but around spec, materials, design, management, quality checking too

In the case of housing developments where the developer builds and then sells the houses i would say yes quality of build has gone down, several architects have the same opinion, and the decline began more than 20 years ago.
I've heard stories of some newbuild blocks of flats where the quality has been disastrous yet everything still got passed.

does it require a lot less skill than refurbishing old properties?

I'm in the middle of a refurbishment project

Refurbishing an old/existing property requires the skills to adapt and work within the constraints of what is already there.

That skill is not required in tradespeople employed on newbuilds.

Generally, house bumping is for making money, fast. So the faster you are the more money you earn and with that comes the inherent quality issues. Everything is geared up for ease and fast production, and less for thinking and quality.

And yes, when you are building square boxes day-in, day-out, where everything is almost identical it's just like a production line in a factory and you become a little institutionalised and robotic. You don't do anything else, you don't know anything else, you don't learn anything else or how to overcome other problems, so yes potentially you are less skilled at non-new build work - although you could be great at your own job.

But that's not to say all refurbishment works are better. They just do stuff different ly and know different things, but can still be totally crap.

You will see say, gangs of site bricklayers throw up a home extension in a weekend and it be a cracking job - which would have taken the "refurb" gang a whole week. But that same site gang may not be so adept at forming new openings or putting in beams or internal alterations.

But quality starts and ends with the management and what they are prepared to accept. And there are many factors which may influence the standards which are accepted.

A house built from Lego would be probably be better than a house built by some developers
I've noticed that there are these timber framed flats that have been assembled and haven't got true structural walls.

Someone was trying to explain but I didn't know you could build wooden framed buildings without structural walls

Look at https://www.sips.org/

Structural Insulated Panel System

They are NOT framed buildings.

This is a framed building

upload_2020-12-9_12-14-47.png

Last edited:
bit of a dumb question to be fair and honest.
the two things require a whole host of different skills knowledge and competence and are in reality worlds apart.

Generally, house bumping is for making money, fast. So the faster you are the more money you earn and with that comes the inherent quality issues. Everything is geared up for ease and fast production, and less for thinking and quality. And yes, when you are building square boxes day-in, day-out, where everything is almost identical it's just like a production line in a factory and you become a little institutionalised and robotic.
This must explain why plastic piping is more popular in newbuilds perhaps

At one point I refused even to quote any work apart from decoration to all new builts.
Too much trouble.
My friend finally managed to get rid of his £300k one bedroom flat in which the genius who designed it thought it would be a great idea to have an open void behind the kitchen cabinets running from top to bottom of the building.
Rats had the time of their life, it was like being in magaluf for them.
The colony had spread to all adjacent buildings, all built by the same bodgers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back